Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VSG

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 9, 2014
Hi, everyone!

Just wanted to check if I'm the only person here who has a serious issue with autocorrect in apps like Pages in High Sierra. In macOS Sierra this used to work quite alright, but in High Sierra, autocorrect corrects the word your typing even while you're typing it. I have to add that system language is set to German here.

For example, if you want to write a word like "trostlos" (which means "desolate"), High Sierra will autocorrect the word when you reach "trost" to "Trost" (as a noun which means "solace") and then start a new word (resulting in the text reading "Trost los").

This happens all the time. Until now those words were corrected once you hit spacebar to start a new word but High Sierra does autocorrect within a word while you're typing. This is not only stupid but ruins so much of your workflow it's hard to imagine.

The only option is to disable autocorrect altogether – or am I missing something?

Best regards,
VSG

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Hi, everyone!

Just wanted to check if I'm the only person here who has a serious issue with autocorrect in apps like Pages in High Sierra. In macOS Sierra this used to work quite alright, but in High Sierra, autocorrect corrects the word your typing even while you're typing it. I have to add that system language is set to German here.

For example, if you want to write a word like "trostlos" (which means "desolate"), High Sierra will autocorrect the word when you reach "trost" to "Trost" (as a noun which means "solace") and then start a new word (resulting in the text reading "Trost los").

This happens all the time. Until now those words were corrected once you hit spacebar to start a new word but High Sierra does autocorrect within a word while you're typing. This is not only stupid but ruins so much of your workflow it's hard to imagine.

The only option is to disable autocorrect altogether – or am I missing something?

Best regards,
VSG

I don't think it's just a High Sierra thing.

The other day I did a clean install of El Capitan. And the autocorrect drove me nuts too. So I disabled it. You go  - System Preferences - Keyboard - Text - Untick Correct spelling automatically

I call apple's autocorrect autoincorrect - as in no apple that's not what I'm typing. Stop it. NOW!

Reactions: VSG
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.