Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LuhvLee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2017
Has anyone else noticed that their autocorrect has been in overdrive lately? It changes words that are actually correct. The biggest one I have noticed is that every time that I type "that", it changes it to they. EVERY TIME. And just a moment ago I typed "yes", and it changed it to "he's". I've reset my keyboard like 2 times but it is still doing it. Is this an iOS bug?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I haven't see this, but I am not on iOS 11.

Maybe it is just another iOS 11 issue....

There seems to be a lot of them.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Has anyone else noticed that their autocorrect has been in overdrive lately? It changes words that are actually correct. The biggest one I have noticed is that every time that I type "that", it changes it to they. EVERY TIME. And just a moment ago I typed "yes", and it changed it to "he's". I've reset my keyboard like 2 times but it is still doing it. Is this an iOS bug?
What particular version of iOS 11 are you on?

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Did someone prank you and put a 'text replacement' (Settings -> General -> Keyboard -> Text Replacement)? I've been running iOS 11 since mid-beta (currently on the latest public beta of 11.4) and don't have any problems with autocorrect.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I've noticed this for quite a while, since at least iOS 10.

Not only does it frequently change correct words to incorrect ones, but it no longer offers to undo its autocorrect when you backspace once and pause, if it changes two words.

So you have to backspace the whole thing and retype it, and it will try to change it again half the time. It used to be so good... but then, so did iOS in general.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
I've noticed it. It acts likes it's trying to correct grammar by being context aware. But is generally wrong and changes entire words to what it feels fits in with the context of the surrounding words. I hate it and there is no way to turn it off.

RepentHarlequin

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2015

It is actually worse if you are using Gmail or Twitter, from my experience.

One can type long passages & you correct a typo, it makes a similar "typo" change elsewhere in the writing.
Make the same typo a few times & it seems to learn the wrong change.

Catch this late - and it is hard to divine what you actually wrote before it changed.
[doublepost=1526065863][/doublepost]
Did someone prank you and put a 'text replacement' (Settings -> General -> Keyboard -> Text Replacement)? I've been running iOS 11 since mid-beta (currently on the latest public beta of 11.4) and don't have any problems with autocorrect.

Are you using a real keyboard?
[doublepost=1526065929][/doublepost]
I haven't see this, but I am not on iOS 11.

Maybe it is just another iOS 11 issue....

There seems to be a lot of them.

Will be fixed right after a forward delete is added.

Reactions: Breezygirl

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Are you using a real keyboard?

Assuming we're still talking about iOS devices, I'm using the stock keyboard that comes with the OS. If you (or the OP) are using a bluetooth connected 'real' keyboard, my apologies, that wasn't clear to me in the OP.

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
I've noticed this for quite a while, since at least iOS 10.

Not only does it frequently change correct words to incorrect ones, but it no longer offers to undo its autocorrect when you backspace once and pause, if it changes two words.

So you have to backspace the whole thing and retype it, and it will try to change it again half the time. It used to be so good... but then, so did iOS in general.
Yes!!! That is exactly the problem for me. I make sure things are correct as I type. Then later see it changed the grammar and my sentences don’t make sense when they did.

RepentHarlequin

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2015
Assuming we're still talking about iOS devices, I'm using the stock keyboard that comes with the OS. If you (or the OP) are using a bluetooth connected 'real' keyboard, my apologies, that wasn't clear to me in the OP.
Yes. This is about iPads & phones, as far as I understand.

I am using the on-screen keyboard on my iPad Pro, if that is what you mean.

The "stock" keyboard, if I understand you to mean instead an external keyboard--is a $150 add-on & does not come with the iPad without a cost.

If I add the overpriced Apple keyboard,
One can’t use the ruggedized STM dux case & then its nearly a laptop running iOS. Makes more sense to offer as a laptop with capacitive touch capability.

I was trying to ascertain if an external keyboard helped the confused autocorrect at all. Because there ought to be fewer typos learned by the machine & fewer corrections learned as well than by capacitive touch.

My desktop machine (iMac) has shown this same propensity in the past, but not so much in quite a few updates.

On-screen iPad keyboard has no Forward delete & the way words are sticky, as front-back, or entire-word highlight, it seriously needs one. It's still irritating.

Last edited:

Mack813

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2013
man i hated auto correct maybe when it first came out thats how long ago i turned that useless feature off it was more of a pain to correct its wrong doings than i found it useful.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
Someone might have gone into your keyboard settings and added some "prank" text replacements. Check this by going to settings>general>keyboard>text replacement and see what's there.

RepentHarlequin

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2015
Someone might have gone into your keyboard settings and added some "prank" text replacements. Check this by going to settings>general>keyboard>text replacement and see what's there.
This has been said.
While I cannot speak for the OP, being pranked makes little sense, depending upon the type of behaviors exhibited & certainly the number of people experiencing this, [unless there are 3rd party keyboards which are drastically flawed].

It does not account for what I've seen.
Yes, I went to check replacements some time ago, in my case.

Mack813 - Turning autocorrect off was on my docket (speaking just for me) a long time ago too. I turned it back on because of other changes in the OS. This mess is just not acceptable.

The problem, I think, is the failure by Apple to add features that address "stickiness" such as I mention in post 10. Either the whole word is selected, or the beginning, or the end. It's damn awkward to edit with your finger when 2 words run together. Easiest example of something that would help is forward-delete. Another is for Apple to include typing like Swype or SwiftKey in typing on-screen.

lemimouth

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2015
Can it be because of installed apps ?

I have installed a game called "Conduct THIS!" and EVERY SINGLE TIME I write "this" it auto corrects to "THIS!". Same with an app called "20 Minutes", everytime I write "minute" it capitalize the "M", ignoring the billion times I corrected it back. Drives me nuts

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.