Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
89DBF4B2-6409-47EB-8ABC-2A413D6BD164.jpeg
A006FA94-FA4E-4728-8658-73B509132B5B.jpeg
So autocorrect has been converting not in a sentence to nit. Randomly and without warning…

Also tries to fix tenses. “Tries” kept getting converted to “tried”… like what?

Also “If” to “of” and “of” to “if”….

It’s like my autocorrect wants people to think, I’m lazy. Unlearned. Perhaps it wants people to have to think real hard on what I just sent.

Any fixes? I am in the latest beta… but it has been doing this since 15. Like all the versions.

I have tried resetting my keyboard (and dictionary) and it only reset my emoji’s.

Also just now tried to convert “reset” to “resent”.

Has autocorrect taken many - many - leaps backward?

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
Send detailed feedback, maybe they can correct it. Does autocorrect learn from you? Anyway to reset just that part?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
They only time I have issues with auto correct is when typing responses on this forum. I have it disabled in keyboard settings so it's the way the forum implements it nativity. I do notice that when I type "not" I hit the "i" quite often and have to correct it manually anyway (outside the forum)..

• Haha
Reactions: Wizec

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
It’s possible that I hit it once and it registered… or maybe it mistypes because of my big fingers… but I don’t think so!

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
I have also done a reset to my dictionary many times but it doesn’t help. Should we all report this to Apple the same time now?

What does make more sense (my English isn’t perfect)
- Auto correction mostly wrong
- Auto correct mostly wrong
- Auto correction is broken
- Auto correct is broken
- Wrong words with auto correct

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Isn't it always learning? Type "not" a few times and select "not" from the options given, rather than nit. I think it will learn that when you type not you mean not.

Reactions: jumpcutking

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I have also done a reset to my dictionary many times but it doesn’t help. Should we all report this to Apple the same time now?

- Auto correct is broken
Just type it in using the iOS keyboard. It'll change it to "Audio correlation moss RONG". It'll prove a point :)

• Haha

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
I turn off AutoCorrect, mostly because it should be called AutoScrewUp. It has never been good. Spell checker used to be okay, but now it sucks too. Apple just doesn't seem to care about quality programming. I guess they are too busy trying to please their greedy stock holders who only care about profit.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

- Auto correct is broken
I would choose one of the last three options since it's mostly right for me but they all sound fine.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
I mean, it too often (at least once every time I’m on MR) forgets that I’ve actually deleted something and want to write something different instead.

0059725B-55B7-4B0E-9363-450863C6CA6B.png 46ECA15C-DD29-4BB0-B019-50BF0A4098A3.png
I’ve wiped my devices and set them up as new so often the last 24 months, so to reset anything doesn’t help me, too. Or maybe we need to reset a couple of boards in Cupertino, that’d probably fix a couple of things.
Reading that for others here autocorrect is a mess and has been since iOS 13 as well on one side makes me feel less alone with this unnecessary, stupid and longstanding problem, on the other side it also makes me think that it’ll never be fixed, so I really do nit know how to feel.

Last edited:
Reactions: adrianlondon

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
Well, there is this… but I like to think that’ something Apple will fix and never Nintendo. ???
Reading this, the autocorrection mistakes in this make me bet it’s been written on an iPhone or Mac ?
Really, I can’t believe that so many other people actually converse about this and still it has gotten worse for years. Next thing I know Hope becomes Nope.
Maybe the crowdsourced data is so messed up because of the butterfly keyboards? ?

• Haha

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
For words that consistently fight against you with incorrect auto correct, just go into keyboard settings in General and go to Text Replacements. Then start adding all the words that autocorrect screws up.
For example, every time I typed “mile”, autocorrect would change it to “Mike”.
So I went into Text Replacements and entered “mile” as a new phrase AND the shortcut, so now when I type “mile” in my text, autocorrect doesn’t touch it.

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
I think that autocorrect technology just needs a tune up. It was great when it first was launched and up until the X, it was fantastic. However… now it has degraded over time. Probably because a lot of people have a lot of typos.

Still awaiting response from my feedback… I hope all things go well and a solution exsist.

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
iPhone autocorrect is the worst thing ever, to be quite honest. It will automatically change correctly spelled words to completely different words entirely, or my favorite, it will just completely remove words altogether. The only thing that helps a little is to reset the keyboard dictionary because the iPhone keyboard seems to get dumber over time. So resetting it once in a while helps remove all the stupid.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It frustrates the hell out of me. I type a text and then have to go back through changing so many things, mostly three letter words. The software is not intelligent enough to understand sentences and actively changes words that make no sense in the sentence they are in. I’ve reached the point where I wonder if I should disable autocorrect altogether?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.