Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gw0gvq

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
Barry, South Wales, UK
I want to automate an electric to come on through the night now and again fan in my bedroom. I'm a newbie at this so I wonder if someone can tell me the best course of action? is it with a shortcut, if so how, please? or do I use a Homepod to ask Siri? If so what do I need? I have a Homepod and an iPhone 8 plus.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
If the fan is not HomeKit enabled out of the box, you will need a smart plug. I have a few of the Wemo Minis and they work great in my experience.

You can go into automations in the Home app and make a series of time based automations throughout the night to turn the fan on and shut it off after a set number of minutes. So say you go to bed at 10pm. You can have it go on at 10 pm for 10 minutes, then again at midnight for 10 minutes and so on. It’s pretty self explanatory and user friendly once you go to create an automation. Just follow to directions using the options you want.

If you want to get fancy, you can get a HomeKit temperature sensor and with the Eve app, set automations to turn the fan on and off using a set temperature as a trigger. Temperature based triggers are not available in the Home app but the Eve app is free and pretty robust.

gw0gvq

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
Barry, South Wales, UK
If the fan is not HomeKit enabled out of the box, you will need a smart plug. I have a few of the Wemo Minis and they work great in my experience.

You can go into automations in the Home app and make a series of time based automations throughout the night to turn the fan on and shut it off after a set number of minutes. So say you go to bed at 10pm. You can have it go on at 10 pm for 10 minutes, then again at midnight for 10 minutes and so on. It’s pretty self explanatory and user friendly once you go to create an automation. Just follow to directions using the options you want.

If you want to get fancy, you can get a HomeKit temperature sensor and with the Eve app, set automations to turn the fan on and off using a set temperature as a trigger. Temperature based triggers are not available in the Home app but the Eve app is free and pretty robust.
Thanks appreciated, I have a smart plug but if I use the automations from the shortcuts will I still need one because I don’t really understand how it would work because I can see as well as the pins to go into the wall socket a hole. for an Ethernet cable and a button on the front that resembles a power button

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
A smart plug with an Ethernet port? I’ve never heard of that. They’re usually either WiFi or Bluetooth. Can you post a pic of it? Is it a HomeKit compatible smart plug?

Unless the fan can talk directly to HomeKit (HomeKit compatible), then yes, you would need an external device to power the fan on and off with an automation. In this case a smart plug. Something has to communicate with the HomePod to make that automation work.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
When doing it with a smart plug, your fan needs to be really dumb, with only a knob or mechanical buttons to set power
If it beeps or lights up or has electronic buttons, chances are it won't work Since the default "power up" state is probably off

Before you go too far, you want to test to make sure your fan will work.
To test this, have the fan running, and unplug it from the wall, wait a bit (20 seconds to a couple minutes depending on how bored you are) and plug it back in. that's basically what the smart switch will do. if the fan doesn't start spinning when you plug it in, it's not going to work.

to my knowledge there is no way to cycle based on time, (on for 5 minutes, off for 10) you might be able to do it in a shortcut, but I believe currently there are issues with longer times (anything over a couple minutes) I think I saw this was addressed in iOS14.
you can do time based automations in homekit, on at 1am, off at 1:30am, but you would have to set up each time individually.

if you have a homekit temperature sensor, you can automate the switch based on the temperature in the room. But you can't do that in the home app. You need to get the Eve app, it's free, and has a lot more automation features than home. The eve app works with all homekit devices, not just those from eve.

I agree we need a pic of your switch. It should only have a plug to go into the outlet in the wall, an outlet to plug whatever you want to control. and possibly a button to control it locally

these 2 should work, I think you're in the UK, you might be able to find cheaper elsewhere. And there are other options, these are just available from apple, and have a good reputation. They also don't require a hub, THey'll connect via bluetooth to your HomePod, or phone.
smart plug - https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/HKEH2B/A/eve-energy
temp sensor - https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/HMLY2ZM/A/eve-room-indoor-air-quality-monitor

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
I have 5 of these, all in use with Vornado fans around the house and they work perfectly with HomeKit and HomePod. Very cheap too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.