Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I'm curious if anyone knows of a solution, ideally Homekit-based, to automate the opening and closing of windows. I've done a search for this and came up with advertisements on Youtube from an Asian company (I think based out of South Korea, but may be mis-remembering), but I couldn't find anywhere to buy it.

This would understandably be a more difficult thing to implement, particularly if modifying existing windows... but it would probably be my #1 most-used automation. I envision linking it to water sensors, such that windows would automatically close if rain started hitting the window sill; having windows close if the air conditioning turned on; being able to easily open all windows in the house with ease (including some that are hard to reach); and being able to close them all just as easily.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
I’ve seen an advertisement for some automated skylight windows.

I’d love to see those to, along with having retractable screens on them so the screens only pull out a a window opens...

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I did another search and found a promising-looking product that is not yet released: Fenestra. No pricing detailed yet but I think this would be a hot product space, so hopefully they meet with success. Currently designed only for horizontally-opening windows (which are the majority of mine), but I'm sure they'll be working on others in the future. For now, you can see the product and read about it, and sign up for their newsletter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.