Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archie2016

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2016
Hi everyone!

I help develop a new automated sleep monitoring app called "Sleep Watch". We just released it and it's a work in progress. It's different because it automatically tracks your sleep without requiring manual user input of when you go to bed or when you wake up. I was pretty disappointed to find that the sleep tracking apps I have used do not have this kind of automated tracking; so, we think the app solves a real problem. We are still enhancing the accuracy of the sleep detection algorithms and we encourage users to give us feedback on our sleep detection accuracy to help make the algorithm better. It doesn't have visual graphs of your night activity yet; so if you require that then the app is probably not ready for your needs. We've made it available for $4.99 on the App Store and we would love to get your feedback!

Link to the App: https://itunes.apple.com/app/apple-store/id1138066420?pt=118333045&ct=mrum1&mt=8

Link to the Website (coming soon): http://www.sleepwatchapp.com

Love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks everyone!

4.png
1.png
2.png
3.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AppleDavid

archie2016

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2016
Now available in Turkey store in English! Although, I can't guarantee for how long

Oh whoops. :( Now that I think about it, it probably takes some time to process through Apple servers. Maybe check back later

Actually, everyone, I just got confirmation from a user that if you redeem one of the promo codes, it doesn't matter if its not available in your region. That user shared with me that he just used the promo code (despite it not being available in his region) and the app downloaded. So, I thought I would pass that on here for anyone that it may be of help

AppleDavid

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
Ok I can't guarantee for how long, but Sleep Watch is now available in Brazil in English. ;)
[doublepost=1469997565][/doublepost]

If I understand your comment correctly, the app is not yet available in your store. What country store are you using? We may be able to release it in your region.
Ok thanks for responding. Now it's available and I just installed it!

Trajan81

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2013
Kingston, Ontario
I gave the app a try last night. Based on the first night, it was able to gauge my sleep/wake time perfectly. Very impressed by that. Previously, I was using Sleep ++ and seem to forget to turn it on at least a few times a week.

There are a few things I would like to see added in future updates. First is better integration with Health Kit. Currently it is able to read from Health Kit, but it does not write to Health Kit. I also use Heart Watch, so when I log sleep, Heart Watch will read that from Health Kit and break out my sleeping heart rate from the awake heart rate. To make this still happen with Sleep Watch, I have to go and manually log my sleep in Health Kit.

Second thing i would love to see is more detailed sleep analysis. The app does tell me my avg sleeping heart rate and how many minutes I was awake. However, I find other sleep tracking apps useful when they display a breakdown of what is restless sleep, deep sleep, rem sleep, awake, etc.

Overall though, I am pretty impressed with the sleep/wake automatic detection.

archie2016

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2016
I gave the app a try last night. Based on the first night, it was able to gauge my sleep/wake time perfectly. Very impressed by that. Previously, I was using Sleep ++ and seem to forget to turn it on at least a few times a week.

There are a few things I would like to see added in future updates. First is better integration with Health Kit. Currently it is able to read from Health Kit, but it does not write to Health Kit. I also use Heart Watch, so when I log sleep, Heart Watch will read that from Health Kit and break out my sleeping heart rate from the awake heart rate. To make this still happen with Sleep Watch, I have to go and manually log my sleep in Health Kit.

Second thing i would love to see is more detailed sleep analysis. The app does tell me my avg sleeping heart rate and how many minutes I was awake. However, I find other sleep tracking apps useful when they display a breakdown of what is restless sleep, deep sleep, rem sleep, awake, etc.

Overall though, I am pretty impressed with the sleep/wake automatic detection.

Thank you for the great feedback!! Lots of exciting ideas here :)

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
So I gave this a try last night for the first time. I have to say that it nailed my sleep/wake up times. I'm very impressed. I think from here its adding depth to the information provided as well as allowing it to write to the health app. Jawbone's sleep tracking via their UP app I always thought was great, perhaps there's some inspiration that could be drawn from that. Overall great work so far.

Reactions: Gibbage

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
So I gave this a try last night for the first time. I have to say that it nailed my sleep/wake up times. I'm very impressed. I think from here its adding depth to the information provided as well as allowing it to write to the health app. Jawbone's sleep tracking via their UP app I always thought was great, perhaps there's some inspiration that could be drawn from that. Overall great work so far.
Agreed about the app nailing the sleep and wake times. Surprised actually. I also use Pillow and that breaks down sleep cycles and light sleep, rem, etc.

The app shows as a complication option but never shows a complication. Not sure that matters as of now without a need to start or stop, but would be nice.

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
Agreed about the app nailing the sleep and wake times. Surprised actually. I also use Pillow and that breaks down sleep cycles and light sleep, rem, etc.

The app shows as a complication option but never shows a complication. Not sure that matters as of now without a need to start or stop, but would be nice.
I think it only works as a large complication on the modular face.

What pillow are you using?

Gibbage

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
I bought this on the app store and have used it for the last three nights. I have to say I've been very impressed so far, and have changed my routine to charge the watch for a couple of hours before going to bed. The detection on sleep time is not absolutely perfect but very close. Like others have said it would be good to get some more analysis, especially on the level of "restlessness" during sleep.

Keep up the good work!

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
Seems to be working fine so far. Because I read for around 30 minutes in bed before sleeping, it seems to be including this period within the overall sleep duration.

Reactions: raymo

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
I think it only works as a large complication on the modular face.

What pillow are you using?
The app is called Pillow :)
[doublepost=1470344541][/doublepost]
Seems to be working fine so far. Because I read for around 30 minutes in bed before sleeping, it seems to be including this period within the overall sleep duration.
It didn't do a great job for me last night as I went to bed at 11pm and was asleep right away and woke up at 6:15am. The app said 12:45am to 6:15am.

My guess is that this app is looking at your heart rate to see when it drops. Once you fall asleep, it is typical for your heart rate to drop and stay relatively low with some spikes during the night. During the day or when you open the app, it will start searching your health data for the pattern where your heart rate shows no movement and steady rate to calculate the sleep period. My guess really.

Other apps want you to pick a start and stop time just to get the exact window and then it starts researching health data during that window for a more accurate timeframe.

I like not having to remember to start and stop though. As more sensors are added, the more accurate it can detect. Body temp drops as you sleep and raises when you awake. Add that to heart rate and movement and you can get a better picture.

This could be a great app with time! So thank you for offering for free.

I also have Pillow which does the same and adds audio to track sound when run with the phone. Combine this with the other features and improvements by Apple will make these apps great.

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
the tracking is ok-ish for me, but im not a steady sleeper, I do move around a lot. so far liking it!

will it get a 'sleep quality' calculation?

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
This seems to work pretty well and exactly what I wanted. Hopefully you can add graphs, alarms and more detailed metrics over time like SleepCycle. Does WatchOS3 open up new functionality that you could use?

Sleep tracking has been a key feature that has made me want to stay with Fitbit over using my Watch as a fitness device, due to the lack of automated tracking on Apple Watch. This may push me over the line to the Watch.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
The most recent update has greatly improved the accuracy for me after being way off.

Was this discussed before? The app has a complication according to the watch app but not available on the watch - is that right? I don't even have the app installed on my watch and it still records.

Tavicu

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2013
Romania
Sounds very good but it's not available on the Romanian store. Let me know if there is a way to get it! I would really like to test and use it too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.