Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
Hey guys i was wondering if anyone knows if or can make this widget/automater

ok the idea is that you just drag a file onto it or select it and it will rar it up into a archive with a password then it will ftp it and will tell you the password it gave to it

snowdog

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2004
Visby, Sweden
Im not sure if Stuffit Deluxe has Automator integration.
Otherwise you can only create a zip file without a password.
Ftp to a host is no problem.

One possible way is to use the rar command from the terminal.
Then you would have to create a unix shell script which to be called from an Automator object.

Sorry, just checked the Allume web page and it seems that Stuffit Deluxe does support Automator.
It also supports ftp, so it should be possible to create the workflow that you want.
http://www.stuffit.com/mac/deluxe/

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
well it didnt need to be a automater or a rar it could be zip, but like when i want to send someone a file on a forum or something i would just like it to be a faster process, also how would i go about making a widget liek this

snowdog

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2004
Visby, Sweden
Here is a simple flow that I just created.
What you'll need to get this to work is an extra action called "Upload to FTP".
It's free, so download it right here http://www.automatorworld.com/archives/upload-to-ftp/

Import the action.
Then open up my small workflow.

Now you need to edit some of the stuff.
You need to enter your own ftp-host address, your username, and the password for that account.
You also might want to change the destination directory.

After that, save the flow as a plugin to the Finder so you can start it by rightclicking a file/folder.

There are a couple of issues with this workflow.
I haven't been able to set the filename to the original name with the extension zip.
It will always have the same name.
Thats why I added a "rename of finder-object".
The only thing I could think of to make each archive unique was to rename the file to todays date and/or time.

There is also an issue with the ftp-action, if the file exists at the ftp host the file is overwritten.

Anyway, hopefully you can use some of the flow and perhaps even build something useful.

If there is anything that I haven't explained good enought - just ask.

Attachments

• Upload this....zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 114

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
hey im having trouble getting that file thats posted on automater world, it seems the site doesnt like my proxy server so i cant access the site at all, anyone know of a way to bypass this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.