Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
If you’ve released your app update using the phased update feature then you definitely shouldn’t pester people about the app being out of date until at least after the phased update period has elapsed!

That’s quite true...

Reactions: max2

jschnee21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Well auto update has never worked for me either on the 11 iOS devices we have. If a few days or a week go by on my kid’s there can be 40 or more updates pending.

So stupid. Should update every night after performing an iCloud backup.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Then either you have the settings wrong or there is something weird going on, like the ones without updates have no updates or maybe you changed iTunes accounts at some point or something. This is not a normal thing at all.

In the iTunes and App Store section of the settings are you signed in with the same Apple ID you used to purchase the apps? Are you on a family sharing plan? Do you have auto updates enable for everything on that screen?

Nah, it's all accurate. It just doesn't work. Same for my wife and others on here as well, apparently. Trust me I guess. Or don’t. But, it doesn’t work.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
So as a follow up to this I checked what updates were awaiting installation this morning.

The app that was at 7 days has now updated as have a few other apps. I now have 5 updates pending with the oldest being 27 June.

So it seems the phased update feature is working perfectly for me.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Nah, it's all accurate. It just doesn't work. Same for my wife and others on here as well, apparently. Trust me I guess. Or don’t. But, it doesn’t work.

Have you ever changed iTunes accounts? Have you ever troubleshooted with Apple to see if there is something on their end messed up? Because that’s just not normal.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I am guessing for me the „problem“ are those phased updates. I check the app store daily for updates so I suppose I do it manually before the auto update for the phased apps would kick in. Therefore the whole feature is useless to me and has now been deactivated. I guess it’s for people that rarely check the App Store ??‍♂️

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
I am guessing for me the „problem“ are those phased updates. I check the app store daily for updates so I suppose I do it manually before the auto update for the phased apps would kick in. Therefore the whole feature is useless to me and has now been deactivated. I guess it’s for people that rarely check the App Store

It also could be you are checking the App Store and those updates where made available after you picked up your phone for the day and before you set your phone back down to charge it at home on WiFi at the end of the day.

I’m curios why on earth anyone checks their App Store update list regularly, much less daily? I’ve never seen a point since auto updates was launched.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
It also could be you are checking the App Store and those updates where made available after you picked up your phone for the day and before you set your phone back down to charge it at home on WiFi at the end of the day.

I’m curios why on earth anyone checks their App Store update list regularly, much less daily? I’ve never seen a point since auto updates was launched.

its exciting like „oh something new“ like being a kid in December opening a window of its Christmas calendar every morning and a little OCD

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
For me I don't always check. Until I get a note in an app that has an issue that an update is available or the app just fails and past practice indicates to check for a pending update.

Auto-update mostly works. Mostly. That is the pain point.

Reactions: compwiz1202

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I had 5 updates pending this morning but none now so they’ve all updated at some point today.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
The setting has never worked they should remove the setting for auto updates because it’s a lie

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
its exciting like „oh something new“ like being a kid in December opening a window of its Christmas calendar every morning and a little OCD

Well if it’s a source of fun, more power to ya! Can’t argue that!

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
For me I don't always check. Until I get a note in an app that has an issue that an update is available or the app just fails and past practice indicates to check for a pending update.

Auto-update mostly works. Mostly. That is the pain point.

I’ve had one app say it needed to be updated when I opened it this year that I can think of. Happened a couple weeks ago. I checked and it had just been updated that day... and my phone hadnt had an opportunity to update yet.

How many different apps you use in a day probably affect how often that happens as well. I used 10% of my apps 95% of the time. So I probably don’t see it as much as people who use a lot of different apps daily.

Reactions: dk001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.