Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shawnforever

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
It ramps down the brightness very quickly to this dim, grey level. Anyone else experiencing this? Like I have this amazing display and it's perpetually dim. I could disable it but I'm looking more for a less aggressive automatic brightness adjustment. I've owned MacBook Pros for over 20 years and this display/ operating system seems a lot more aggressive. This happens even when the laptop is plugged in.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I turned off auto adjust brightness and True Tone on my MBP 14" as well as my iPhone. I never liked those features. Makes the screen look unnatural.

Tsjoolder

Suspended
Mar 17, 2024
It ramps down the brightness very quickly to this dim, grey level. Anyone else experiencing this? Like I have this amazing display and it's perpetually dim. I could disable it but I'm looking more for a less aggressive automatic brightness adjustment. I've owned MacBook Pros for over 20 years and this display/ operating system seems a lot more aggressive. This happens even when the laptop is plugged in.
Why would it be different on M3 vs anything else? The display assembly is unchanged.

Do you actually have a point of reference to back up any such statement?

shawnforever

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
The display assembly is unchanged.
Unchanged from what?

I upgraded from a 2017 MacBook Pro 13 inch (Intel) running Ventura. It's entirely conceivable that a 2023 MacBook Pro 14 inch (M3) running Sonoma could handle automatic brightness control somewhat differently. Either through changes in the operating system, hardware, or some combination of both in certain lighting conditions.

Reactions: Flyview
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.