Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RickCMC

Suspended
Sep 13, 2018
It still fails intermittently, but lately it’s been working more often than it fails.
Hi OP, I was curious if you are still having issues with backups? After my last post on here backups started working fine and did so until recently. Now instead of the “Some files were unavailable during the last backup” message I get the message “The last backup could not be completed” and I have no clue why. I have a strong Wi-Fi connection so it can’t be a network issue. This happens when the phone tries to automatically backup but even sometimes when I manually backup I get the “could not be completed” message. I have plenty of space. Anyone have any ideas?

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Hi OP, I was curious if you are still having issues with backups? After my last post on here backups started working fine and did so until recently. Now instead of the “Some files were unavailable during the last backup” message I get the message “The last backup could not be completed” and I have no clue why. I have a strong Wi-Fi connection so it can’t be a network issue. This happens when the phone tries to automatically backup but even sometimes when I manually backup I get the “could not be completed” message. I have plenty of space. Anyone have any ideas?

Backups have been mostly successful. Every now and then it fails, but that’s rare now.

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach

my b/u could not be completed yet again - posted thread about issue in feb, finally worked but not working yet again

tried every troubleshooting option and simply not backing up, only getting message saying could not be completed + only on iphone, ipads work fine

at a loss - any luck since post?

RickCMC

Suspended
Sep 13, 2018
my b/u could not be completed yet again - posted thread about issue in feb, finally worked but not working yet again

tried every troubleshooting option and simply not backing up, only getting message saying could not be completed + only on iphone, ipads work fine

at a loss - any luck since post?
Is it manual backups that won’t work or automatic ones? Or both? Mine backs up automatically most of the time but every now and then I’ll get that error message. Usually when I manually press Back Up Now it always works. The last resort for you might be a factory restore and set your phone up as new. Sometimes that gets rid of problems.

Reactions: ltb7

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
Is it manual backups that won’t work or automatic ones? Or both? Mine backs up automatically most of the time but every now and then I’ll get that error message. Usually when I manually press Back Up Now it always works. The last resort for you might be a factory restore and set your phone up as new. Sometimes that gets rid of problems.

automatic, was supposed to get an external HD but have yet to do so, my bad

set up as new (such a pain) signed in/out icloud and on + on, tried everything - last auto b/u was end of Feb and at end of Jan had same problem - have a few ipads which all b/u to icloud fine - iPhone just hangs and never completes

everything is in icloud when log on from mac, only thing can think of is that some file or app is not having it so have been deleting what I do not really use often but still no go...

RickCMC

Suspended
Sep 13, 2018
automatic, was supposed to get an external HD but have yet to do so, my bad

set up as new (such a pain) signed in/out icloud and on + on, tried everything - last auto b/u was end of Feb and at end of Jan had same problem - have a few ipads which all b/u to icloud fine - iPhone just hangs and never completes

everything is in icloud when log on from mac, only thing can think of is that some file or app is not having it so have been deleting what I do not really use often but still no go...
Have you tried deleting your last backup then backing up manually? Sometimes after you do that the automatic backups start working again.

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
Have you tried deleting your last backup then backing up manually? Sometimes after you do that the automatic backups start working again.

yes, have a hard copy b/u on phoneview software on mac from Jan 2019 (it's same as having itunes b/u) + all there in icloud login so not flipping - made sure to put everything (except photos, as they are backed up separate anyway but did google photo b/u just in case) on one of iPads before deleting iPhone b/u from Feb 2019

not sure apple support could do much + if they were to reset something on their end, I fear it could cause more issues - it has to be an app or even a file in icloud folder that it does not like, perhaps? had same exact problem last month then it just worked but has not backed up since and pretty sure this started after upgrade to latest public IOS in Jan (12.1.4)

perplexed

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
yes, have a hard copy b/u on phoneview software on mac from Jan 2019 (it's same as having itunes b/u) + all there in icloud login so not flipping - made sure to put everything (except photos, as they are backed up separate anyway but did google photo b/u just in case) on one of iPads before deleting iPhone b/u from Feb 2019

not sure apple support could do much + if they were to reset something on their end, I fear it could cause more issues - it has to be an app or even a file in icloud folder that it does not like, perhaps? had same exact problem last month then it just worked but has not backed up since and pretty sure this started after upgrade to latest public IOS in Jan (12.1.4)

perplexed

You said earlier that you set up as new and deleted the iCloud backup, and it still didn't backup. I've seen "reset all settings" in combination with "deleting the iCloud backup" at the same time fix these errors before. So, I wonder if you installed an app that doesn't "complete" the install, and that stops it.

I've also seen iPhones that were restored from a cloud backup, but the person never sync'd it with their computer again after the restore, and so the restore was not really complete and therefore backups could not proceed.

So, what other things did you do between "setting up as new" and "letting it auto-backup", i.e. did you first try letting it automatically backup before installing apps or media?

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
You said earlier that you set up as new and deleted the iCloud backup, and it still didn't backup. I've seen "reset all settings" in combination with "deleting the iCloud backup" at the same time fix these errors before. So, I wonder if you installed an app that doesn't "complete" the install, and that stops it.

I've also seen iPhones that were restored from a cloud backup, but the person never sync'd it with their computer again after the restore, and so the restore was not really complete and therefore backups could not proceed.

So, what other things did you do between "setting up as new" and "letting it auto-backup", i.e. did you first try letting it automatically backup before installing apps or media?

that could be it

did not do it all together in one go, did this all on separate days over course of past month...

here are some troubleshooting I did - not in order as did multiple times since mid-Feb as had same problem in Feb (last b/u had been Jan) but then icloud b/u in Feb worked yet has not since which is very strange

1. reset network settings
2. reset all settings on device (took a bit to get iphone settings back, just takes time)
3. signed in/out of icloud (only issue I had was that I lost manually tagged photos from over a decade, some stayed others did not, would def recommend to make sure photos are tagged on computer vs iphone + don't know enough about tagging to say much more)
4. deleted icloud b/u
5. hard reset on iphone
6. toggle icloud b/u switch on/off
7. removed all remembered wifi networks
8. shut off cellular completely and only used wifi
9. made sure screen locks after 3 minutes
10. turned off screen time + restrictions
11. deleted any apps that no longer use much
12. turned off icloud backing up non major apps (exp: kept messages turned on but turned off most apps that would not flip if not backed up)
13. checked icloud.com to make sure all there, it is...
14. signed out of itunes (have different ID as Apple will not merge my old account pre-Mobile Me)

think that's everything

thank you so much! perhaps should reset all settings again + wait a few days? the info is saved but just not backing up on iphone so 100% iphone related

RickCMC

Suspended
Sep 13, 2018
that could be it

did not do it all together in one go, did this all on separate days over course of past month...

here are some troubleshooting I did - not in order as did multiple times since mid-Feb as had same problem in Feb (last b/u had been Jan) but then icloud b/u in Feb worked yet has not since which is very strange

2. reset all settings on device (took a bit to get iphone settings back, just takes time)
3. signed in/out of icloud (only issue I had was that I lost manually tagged photos from over a decade, some stayed others did not, would def recommend to make sure photos are tagged on computer vs iphone + don't know enough about tagging to say much more)
4. deleted icloud b/u
5. hard reset on iphone
12. turned off icloud backing up non major apps (exp: kept messages turned on but turned off most apps that would not flip if not backed up)
14. signed out of itunes (have different ID as Apple will not merge my old account pre-Mobile Me)

think that's everything

thank you so much! perhaps should reset all settings again + wait a few days? the info is saved but just not backing up on iphone so 100% iphone related
Can you do a manual backup? What happens if you tap “Back up now”? Does it still fail? You said you deleted previous backup, did you then manually backup or are you just waiting for it to backup automatically?

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Can you do a manual backup? What happens if you tap “Back up now”? Does it still fail? You said you deleted previous backup, did you then manually backup or are you just waiting for it to backup automatically?

My suggestion is to delete the existing back up, wait about an hour and then manually backup.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
that could be it

4. deleted icloud b/u
5. hard reset on iphone

think that's everything

Do you usually sync to iTunes?
If yes, Have you completed a Sync to iTunes since this started? Try that.
Are you able to do an encrypted manual backup to iTunes?

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
I had a friend who could not do any iCloud backup. I had her to sign out of the iCloud account and sign back in to be greeting with an Apple agreement. Her account automatically started to use the 2-factor authentication. Then, she was able to use iCloud backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.