Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

As soon as I plug my iPod Touch (last generation) into any other computer than my own, it automatically wipes all of the music on the iPod. It does so even if I ask it not to sync with iTunes and it even does so when I plug it into a laptop mac with its lid closed!

Is that normal? Is there a setting that I can change?

Thanks.

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
Library sync will delete all music as far as I remember, but it shouldn't be done automatically. Where iTunes running on all computers or this happens after pairing even if there were no iTunes?

Loa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Québec
Yes, iTunes was installed and running on all computers (even on the sleeping one!).

I have no idea why it happens even when I ask it not to sync.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I don't think you can ask iTunes *not* to sync,, it will automatically sync every now and then to make sure all music in the cloud is identical to playlist in iTunes.

You can manually sync it sooner.

Last edited:

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
Yes, iTunes was installed and running on all computers (even on the sleeping one!).

I have no idea why it happens even when I ask it not to sync.
Make a test with connecting the device after quitting iTunes. If music will stay than the issue is in the Library sync and better use 3dparty apps for music management. I may be wrong but they should add music in a different way and iTunes should not delete it during sync.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I don't really see the issue around not understanding "music got deleted", Apple only compares what's on iTunes and whats in the cloud.. and updates accordingly..

Just like Dropbox (syncing)

I don't see Apple changing something which works. 80% of the time... It's just "how well" it works, Apple should improve,but its almost like people want this to be perfect, and noting ever will be perfect. It's not just Apple either.

Loa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Québec
Ok. I will try quitting iTunes before connecting.

But as far as I'm concerned, this isn't something that "works". Even 80% of the time. It's completely broken! It means that I can't charge my iPod on my friends' macs and that if I stay away from home for a while, I need to carry a USB cable that plugs into a wall outlet. That's not an optimal solution by any measure, given that there are macs with USB ports all over the place!

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I don't think you can ask iTunes *not* to sync,, it will automatically sync every now and then to make sure all music in the cloud is identical to playlist in iTunes.

Sure you can tell it to not sync: option for it under a device's Summary panel in iTunes. I have my iP* devices setup that way, and they only sync when I click a button. But yes, first time a device talks to a new computer, iTunes will try to sync.

As to why music is being erased, unsure: I have plugged my iPhone into numerous computers over the years and saying "Trust this Computer" "Do not allow" has kept my library intact.

One thing that is possible: something on the iPod is corrupt re: trust/no-trust settings for computers the iPod has plugged into. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings to get the trust/not-trust settings back to square one.

If not that, MAYBE the version of iTunes on the computers you are trying to plug into are downlevel and bringing issues to the iPod? OP has not stated what version of iOS is on the iPod, assuming 11.X since that's the sub-board, but could be incompatibility issues between old iTunes and new iOS.

Given that the friends have Macs and apparently Apple cables, why not just use the cable and plug into whatever Apple charging bricks/cubes they must have received with their devices (and hence having the cables) that are lying around?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.