Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheAtwookie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
Lubbock, TX
Hey, I am trying to figure out how to back up my jump drive when I plug it in and the OS mounts the drive. I've done a lot of reading, but haven't come up with much that's automatic. I figured there would be an easy way to do it with Applescript, but I'll be honest -- I'm no programming genius.

If anybody has any ideas (or "That's just not possible, thanks for playing") let me know. I just keep a lot of business related work on my jump drive, and would love a way to copy it over to my local drive when I plug it in.

TheAtwookie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
Lubbock, TX
Dont' have Leopard (therefore no Time Machine, it's in the budget for after graduation while my student discount still works).

I wasn't sure if automator could be used like that, as I've never actually used it before. I was just curious to see if it could be done.

Thanks.

jigo

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2007
FL
It's possible with Chronosync. There is an option in the scheduler to backup when mounted, and you can also have it unmount when finished.

I just tried it with a flash drive and it works pretty good.
Plugged in drive, backs up, dings when done, automatically unmounts, pull out drive. easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.