Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melvynadam

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
I switched to the Apple Watch from a Fitbit Blaze. The thing I miss most about my Fitbit is the way it automatically tracked and logged exercise by what I was doing. Walking outside, running on an elliptical, cycling etc are all automatically logged and counted towards your exercise goals. They call this “SmartTrack” and have had it since 2015.

Is there any app (that people are happy with) that can achieve the same thing on Apple Watch? I saw one recently in the App Store but the reviews indicate that it’s not delivering on the promises the marketing team are making.

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
For myself I want to set a workout based on type and when I start and stop. I may be after a certain amount of time or maybe a certain distance that day.

Cordorb

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
the watch has a machine link to some equipment but not at my YMCA
I set it to stair master for most circuit stuff then indoor bike for bike

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
Aside from GymKit, I don't think this functionality exists unfortunately, and I don't think a third party app would be able to do this because HealthKit doesn't expose enough sensor information to make a determination. Though I could be wrong since AutoSleep manages to track when you are sleeping, but I'm sure that requires a lot less information.

For Fitbit they wrote software specifically devoted to this function (They call it SmartTrack and even took the time to trademark the name) - it would be neat if Apple wrote something similar but I think it just isn't a highly requested feature, unfortunately. I think Siri being able to start specific workouts is "close enough" in convenience for most people, since Fitbit products don't have something similar.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.