Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cscottrun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
I hope I am not creating a duplicate thread, but I'd like to hear what automations everyone has created. So far, I've created automations to open waze and go home when I leave work (and vice versa). Wondering if anyone else has any useful ones? I plan to create some based on my wemo lighting when I get home.

Cscottrun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
Well, I was excited about this feature but it appears for most automations, you still have to press a button that populates in the form of a notification for them to start. I was really hoping that upon my departure from work, my phone would automatically open waze (or for that matter any maps app) and start directions to my house. It's not really "automated" if you still have to give the phone the ok to perform the actions.

It does appear that there are a few automations that are fully automated. For instance, when you trigger an automation by plugging your phone into car play, there is the option to turn off "ask before running". I'm not sure why this option is not available for every automation, but the point of automations is pretty much defeated for me for those automations that don't have the option.

DaDöme

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2016
Is it possible that the option to trigger automations using NFC is missing? I definitely saw that option in a beta video a while ago..

Puppuccino

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2019
United Kingdom
I tried to create an automation to turn WiFi off when I left home but it never seemed to work so I gave up. I'd be interested in trying it again though now that iOS 13.1 is out.

I was on the public beta for a while so maybe that had something to do with it?

Airvue

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2019
I was able to setup an automation today on 13.1 to turn off Wi-Fi and turn on Do Not Disturb upon arrival at work.

The automation runs, but not automatically. Rather it pops up a dialogue that requires my permission first.

So, in this case, it’s more like a reminder or at best, a semi-automation. :(

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
yes. Another botched attempt at something great from Apple. I was extremely excited about this and then completely let down by this limitation. Another gimmick at best

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
I haven't had a chance to try these out yet, but I imagine anything that would bypass the lock screen is a big no-no in Apple's books (for instance opening an application when you leave a location). I know I wouldn't want my phone unlocking itself just because someone grabbed it and walked out.

freemannnn

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2013
yes, but turning flight mode or DND on/off does not requires to unlock phone. i want this to happen automatically without my interaction. if i have to click to do it then i can do it by my self at control center. no need for automation.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Sure, I can see that if you allow access to Control Center while phone is locked. But I also wasn't talking about that case - I specifically referred to opening an application

5KDan

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017
Michigan
I set up a handful of simple automations before leaving the house to run errands last night - one to shut off WiFi when connected to Bluetooth in my car, and another to adjust media volume to 0 when arriving at my daughter's high school. Neither of them worked automatically, but at least they notified me - silently. Watch didn't buzz on my wrist, phone didn't vibrate - nothing.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Well, I was excited about this feature but it appears for most automations, you still have to press a button that populates in the form of a notification for them to start. I was really hoping that upon my departure from work, my phone would automatically open waze (or for that matter any maps app) and start directions to my house. It's not really "automated" if you still have to give the phone the ok to perform the actions.

It does appear that there are a few automations that are fully automated. For instance, when you trigger an automation by plugging your phone into car play, there is the option to turn off "ask before running". I'm not sure why this option is not available for every automation, but the point of automations is pretty much defeated for me for those automations that don't have the option.
Hmm can’t you just disable ask before running in the final step?

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Hmm can’t you just disable ask before running in the final step?

Not every automation has this button. I was trying to do the same launching Waze automatically when my car connects to Bluetooth but it only shows notifications and you have to press run. Notifications isn't even good there's no sound.

Reactions: 5KDan

5KDan

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017
Michigan
Not every automation has this button. I was trying to do the same launching Waze automatically when my car connects to Bluetooth but it only shows notifications and you have to press run. Notifications isn't even good there's no sound.
The notifications issue bothers me even more than the fact that they're not fully automated. At least let me acknowledge them on my Apple Watch by sending me a notification that I'll actually notice!

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I follow a lot of artists on Twitter and like to save some of the art they post, so I created a shortcut that automatically saves an image to my Photo gallery AND adds it to the Artwork album. It works great and I can use it from several different apps including Safari.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
The notifications issue bothers me even more than the fact that they're not fully automated. At least let me acknowledge them on my Apple Watch by sending me a notification that I'll actually notice!

It does send notification to my watch but when I click run on my watch it won't do it because phone is lock. I guess I'll go back to my old ways to launch Waze instead of making this more complicated than it has to be.. Automation my butt Apple finds a way to screw up a simple thing.

Reactions: mikejd1

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
It does send notification to my watch but when I click run on my watch it won't do it because phone is lock. I guess I'll go back to my old ways to launch Waze instead of making this more complicated than it has to be.. Automation my butt Apple finds a way to screw up a simple thing.
Exactly. Complete garbage

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.