Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HDFan

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I want to setup an automator script to watch for changes in a folder (new pictures added) and add the photos to a Photos album. I added the "Import Files into Photos" item and received the error when I ran it within automator:

Screen Shot 2022-01-22 at 1.12.37 PM.png

So I added the "Get Specified Finder Items" action.

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 9.41.50 AM.png

No change. Still get the error message.

Red Menace

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2011
Colorado, USA
When running the workflow as a folder action, it gets passed items that have been added to the target folder, but when running from Automator, it isn’t a folder action, so the workflow won’t automatically have any items passed to it. As mentioned in the dialog, you can temporarily add an action such as Get Specified Finder Items to get something for the workflow to use for testing or whatever. When specifying the same folder that you are using for the folder action, if you are expecting it to work the same as a folder action, that isn't going to happen. If there aren’t any image files in the folder for the Import Files into Photos action, then it will error because it doesn’t have any input, so you might try another action such as Ask for Finder Items to select known image files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.