Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a.b.brian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2006
- Does anyone know if the Garmin GPS - Ground Positioning Satellite - devices are compatible with Mac Operating systems? I understand that Garmin was planning to have their GPS software compatible with Mac OSX 10.4.x by the end of this year.

- Has anyone had, or know of someone who had experience with Garmin automotive GPS devices with the Mac OS? If so, please relate your thoughts on the matter.

-Does anyone know of any GPS manufacturer whose GPS device software is compatible with Mac OS?

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
My aunt works for Garmin, and I complained to her about this very problem at Thanksgiving. She said she was surprised that Macs weren't supported since several of her coworkers are using Macs. I found that interesting.

hqsbud

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2003
I had tried GPS Connect many months ago, and found it did work with my Garmin eTrex Legend C. It didn't work well, but it did usually work for a couple of waypoint transfers, and then it would hang. I believe it's been updated since then, so it might be much better.

You can run the standard Garmin software in Bootcamp, and that works fine. According to the Parallels forum, and my own experience, Garmin software isn't able to communicate properly when using Parallels. I'm hoping the coming Parallels update fixes this.

Search VersionTracker for GPS because it looks like there are more potentially useful tools.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.