Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speedingant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2016
Introducing AutoMounter, a powerful menu item designed to automatically mount your network shares.

We wanted our network shares always accessible and ready to use. If you've got a NAS appliance, a server at work, or even shared folders on your other computers, you'll know how time consuming it is to keep them mounted.

AutoMounter makes this easy by ensuring your shares are always available. Whenever you change locations, AutoMounter will mount your shares from the available server, and they will appear on your Desktop.

AutoMounter uses native MacOS frameworks, and doesn't store your credentials. AutoMounter fixes the macOS Sierra authentication bug to your servers. No scripting required!

Learn more here: http://www.pixeleyes.co.nz/automounter/

Attachments

• logo.png
    logo.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,002

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I think you have a nice little app here but I don't think the asking price is a touch steep for my liking (and I have no problem paying for good apps at a respectable price).

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
It looks neat and I'd love a time-limited trial to see if it actually would take away my pet peeve of having to close all my network share Finder windows (three of them) that pop up at login when I reboot. But for $15, I'll probably just continue to put up with the annoyance of three clicks.

Reactions: phrehdd

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Just come across this thread and wanted to say "thanks" - It definitely makes things easier and while it's a bit of a pain that they don't appear in /volumes, I fully understand why that is and it doesn't really detract from the usefulness of the app :)

Reactions: speedingant

zaxxon72

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
For the next week I'm running a special on AutoMounter, taking 30% off the price!

http://www.pixeleyes.co.nz/automounter/

Change should be in the App Store shortly.
While this is a nice throwaway-price, it's a little bit more complicated when the tool is not meant for me, but for a friend's (not very tech-savvy) office. I can't go and tell them 'buy this, it might solve your problems', getting their hopes up and then telling them 'ah, sorryyy'.

Is there any way to give us a time-limited demo, 5 minutes would be enough before the share gets force-unmounted again.

pretty please? ;-)

PS: and what does 'does not store credentials' mean? Are they saved in keychain.app? or would I have to enter everything after every boot or re-mount? (a question that could be avoided by the demo ;)

speedingant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2016
While this is a nice throwaway-price, it's a little bit more complicated when the tool is not meant for me, but for a friend's (not very tech-savvy) office. I can't go and tell them 'buy this, it might solve your problems', getting their hopes up and then telling them 'ah, sorryyy'.

Is there any way to give us a time-limited demo, 5 minutes would be enough before the share gets force-unmounted again.

pretty please? ;-)

PS: and what does 'does not store credentials' mean? Are they saved in keychain.app? or would I have to enter everything after every boot or re-mount? (a question that could be avoided by the demo ;)

We'll look into a trial. Worst case, you can request refunds from Apple for now, thought it's best to contact us for support first as I'm sure most issues are easy to resolve.

Cheers for your interest in AutoMounter.
[doublepost=1477420496][/doublepost]
I see you don't mount to /Volumes

What are the possible implications of this?

For the average user, no implications. The shares will mount, and they will be accessible via Finder Sidebar / Desktop as you'd expect. You can also reveal the shares in Finder via AutoMounter.

For users that have Applications that rely on a share being in /Volumes, in most cases it just means you need to point your Applications to the AutoMounter location. You can see where the shares are mounted by hovering over the 'share type' indicated in the AutoMounter GUI. The reason for AutoMounter not being able to mount to /Volumes is due to Mac App Store sandboxing limitations, and that Sierra has locked down the /Volumes folder.

speedingant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2016
Version 1.2.6 released which, alongside with version 1.2.5, offers the ability to specify a username for each share. Useful if you have different permission configurations on your NAS, like a read-only user for a certain share.

http://www.pixeleyes.co.nz/automounter/

twinboys

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2013
I sent PixelEyes via their website, a preorder question a few days ago but haven’t from them yet. So I’ll ask the question here.

I “Connect to Server” (Synology NAS, WebDAV) remotely using the following syntax, http://DomainName:5005. After looking at AutoMounter’s “Configure Server” setup screen, what would be the syntax for connecting to a remote NAS? If I use my settings it doesn’t work.

twinboys

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2013
I received email support from PixelEyes and I must say that Andy is really good. Thanks Andy.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
AutoMounter mounts shares under the Connected servers category in Finder. On my Mac for example they mount as NAS.local and DiskStation.local

If the Bonjour computers category in Finder is enabled I get duplicates e.g. NAS.local under Connected servers and NAS under Bonjour computers. For that reason I like to have Bonjour computers disabled.

I also use Screen sharing, but the Share Screen button is only available under Bonjour computers. Is it possible to have the Share Screen button display in the Connected servers category?

I hope that makes sense.

speedingant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2016
AutoMounter mounts shares under the Connected servers category in Finder. On my Mac for example they mount as NAS.local and DiskStation.local

If the Bonjour computers category in Finder is enabled I get duplicates e.g. NAS.local under Connected servers and NAS under Bonjour computers. For that reason I like to have Bonjour computers disabled.

I also use Screen sharing, but the Share Screen button is only available under Bonjour computers. Is it possible to have the Share Screen button display in the Connected servers category?

I hope that makes sense.

It does make sense! That feature is already in development, connections to servers will have the option to integrate with the Bonjour computer name.

Cheers!

Reactions: steve62388

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
It does make sense! That feature is already in development, connections to servers will have the option to integrate with the Bonjour computer name.

Cheers!

I'm liking the update with Bonjour compatibility. Nice work.

Now the mount folder locations have moved is there anything under that big folder structure I can delete?

Thanks.

speedingant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2016
I'm liking the update with Bonjour compatibility. Nice work.

Now the mount folder locations have moved is there anything under that big folder structure I can delete?

Thanks.

Cheers!

You can remove folders relating to the old mount structure, but as they're just folders it's not too important.

ilium007

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2009
I see you don't mount to /Volumes

What are the possible implications of this?

If you are prepared to pay an additional in app purchase price of AUD$10.99 on top of the already steep AUD$14.99 app purchase price you can then mount the shares in to whatever directory you wish.

So AUD$24.99 for an app that mounts a network share !!!!

speedingant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2016
There are many free options for mounting network shares, such as scripting or AutoFS. I hosted a free automount script for many years before writing AutoMounter. We use AutoFS where it makes sense.

However, some users do not want to script. Besides that, AutoMounter offers more than simply mounting a share. It takes significant technical effort to upskill, update and support apps, something that we are clearly dedicated to.

We want to keep supporting AutoMounter, and we want to keep developing it. We will be adding further features, and we will not be adding any further 'In-App' purchases. Take from that what you will, but we have added more features for free for existing customers, and have provided additional functionality for the 'pro' users that require it.

As always, you have complete freedom as a consumer to simply not purchase AutoMounter and use a script if you feel that suits your requirements better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.