Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wah14237

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2019
MacBook Pro running 10.14.5.

My available storage space decreases in real time even when I am not downloading, modifying, updating anything. For example, if I have 8.05 GB available space, I can see it decrease in real time to 8.04, 8.03, 8.02.

No, time machine is not enabled.

Every time my available space decreases, my system space increases. System is taking up over 100 GB.

Sorting activity monitor by bytes written, kernal_task has written 122GB recently.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Have you checked and made sure the OS is not using swap due to lack of free memory?

Also, during deep sleep, the OS writes an image of however much RAM was used. As a result, it'll take up roughly about as much storage space as the amount of RAM in your computer. So maybe that's what you're seeing?

wah14237

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2019
Daisy Disk says mySQL is taking up all the space? Cannot delete it because it says its required by macOS.

erichui84

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2016
Daisy Disk says mySQL is taking up all the space? Cannot delete it because it says its required by macOS.

Looks like some program is writing to a MySql Database using all the space. I don't know if mac os comes pre installed with mac os (I had to install my own).

What programs/apps have you installed on your mac?

wah14237

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2019
Looks like some program is writing to a MySql Database using all the space. I don't know if mac os comes pre installed with mac os (I had to install my own).

What programs/apps have you installed on your mac?
I’m a computer science major so I have regular developer suite applications, Xcode, PyCharm, most recently Anaconda, etc. I’ve been getting a pop-up flashing quickly on start up having to do with allowing or denying something to do with sql. Recorded the pop up to see it but had to delete for space. Read that whatever it was was bundled with macOS

erichui84

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2016
I’m a computer science major so I have regular developer suite applications, Xcode, PyCharm, most recently Anaconda, etc. I’ve been getting a pop-up flashing quickly on start up having to do with allowing or denying something to do with sql. Recorded the pop up to see it but had to delete for space. Read that whatever it was was bundled with macOS

Since you have traced that it is down to mySql then maybe you should trace down what is writing to it? I certainly don't think MySql is preinstalled with mac os since I have recently been needing to install it manually to do some software development work requring mySql as well, but I could be wrong.

wah14237

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2019
My mistake, I read that postgreSQL was bundled with macOS. How would you recommend tracing down what is writing to my disk? Activity monitor bytes written filtered to most recent looks normal other than kernal_task.

erichui84

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2016
My mistake, I read that postgreSQL was bundled with macOS. How would you recommend tracing down what is writing to my disk? Activity monitor bytes written filtered to most recent looks normal other than kernal_task.

I am just wondering, since you said it was decreasing space all the time, how much space do you have left now? I am just looking at mine and I can see the used space changing in real time too, although slowly but not something significant enough I would worry for my case. I have done something like this so I don't have any suggestions to what you can do to trace if your space usage is significant. Maybe someone else could come up with something.

wah14237

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2019
I am just wondering, since you said it was decreasing space all the time, how much space do you have left now? I am just looking at mine and I can see the used space changing in real time too, although slowly but not something significant enough I would worry for my case. I have done something like this so I don't have any suggestions to what you can do to trace if your space usage is significant. Maybe someone else could come up with something.

It decreases 0.01gb about every couple of seconds. I bought a external hard drive and moved stuff off so I have about 20gb free now just so I can do my assignments. However I will surely run out of space again in no time. Will likely have to wipe and reinstall macOS as soon as my semester is over but I just can’t afford to do that right now. Everyone at Apple I have talked to has been comically unhelpful. System is taking up almost 150gb now at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.