Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ambient80

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
Hello all!

I don't post here much, but I'm having an issue with the beta and I cannot update my system!

So the App Store says I have an update to Beta 7 available. I tell it to install and it says that it's going to restart. After the countdown, it says that "Available updates have changed" and sends me back to the app store, where the same update is waiting to be installed. Clicking install just sends me on this same loop over and over again.

I'm running a mid-2014 rMBP 15" if that's any help at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Try it from the command line:
Code:
sudo softwareupdate -ir

It will tell you when it’s done.

Ambient80

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
Hey! Thanks for the suggestion :)

I did as you said. It began looking for updates, and said that one had been downloaded and was ready to install, and to please restart immediately. I did so, and when it finished restarting...nothing had been done. I still had an update ready to download in my App Store, and it still send me on the same loop I described above.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Hey! Thanks for the suggestion :)

I did as you said. It began looking for updates, and said that one had been downloaded and was ready to install, and to please restart immediately. I did so, and when it finished restarting...nothing had been done. I still had an update ready to download in my App Store, and it still send me on the same loop I described above.

Does it also show you the update again when you call this command?
Code:
softwareupdate -l

Ambient80

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
Does it also show you the update again when you call this command?
Code:
softwareupdate -l

Hello again! Sorry for the late reply, was a bit sick yesterday.

I will try this when I get home from work, as I do not have my laptop with me at the moment. I'll post an update when I give it a shot.

Thanks again!

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
I had similar problem in previous beta and only solution was to download newer installer from App Store, create install media and install Sierra again. Maybe it occurred because I run it in VM but if nothing else works you could try it...

Ambient80

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
@KALLT

Sorry it took so long for a reply, work has been hectic lately.

Your last suggestion showed the update again once I entered it. However, after rebooting yet again, it finally decided that it would update, and it worked! Now on the GM seed :)

Thanks for the help, everybody!

Riyaz Kashmiri

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2020
Simply go to the System Preferences, select App Store click on the Software updates are available > Show Updates, this will open up App Store automatically then just click on Update and you r done

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.