Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

house13um

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2015
Haven't been able to find this issue elsewhere, except during the earlier variants of the developers beta.

Have a 2012 i5 Mac Mini with a 120gb SSD and 500gb HDD using the iFixit kit. I've been running the public beta since release on the SSD (wherein Avast had been working fine), but yesterday I installed the dual HD setup, did a fresh install of Yosemite on the SSD, then updated back to 15A243d public beta and installed Windows 8.1 on a Bootcamp partition on the SSD, leaving the HDD with one Mac OS Journaled partition and one NTFS partition. Both El Capitan and Windows 8.1 see all drives and partitions just fine.

Beforehand, when Avast worked, I had installed it originally on Yosemite, and the app had rolled over through the El Capitan updates. This time, however, I tried to install it after I updated to 15A243d – no go. Fails each time it tries to validate the packages after running package scripts, right near the end of the install. Also, unlike on Yosemite, it won't let me choose whether I want to install on a specific disk or for a specific user; it forces me to choose to install for all users of the Mac.

Anyone know what might be at fault here?

tills24

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
I had the same thing happen when installing both Avast and Symantec Endpoint Protection. Sadly, I cannot provide an answer, only bumping.

house13um

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2015
Problem resolved.

Had to disable System Integrity Protection (SIP) from the Recovery partition. Terminal -> "csrutil status" -> Was enabled, so used "csrutil disable", then rebooted. Installation went fine. Went back and used "csrutil enable" to switch it back on.

Reactions: tills24

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Problem resolved.

Had to disable System Integrity Protection (SIP) from the Recovery partition. Terminal -> "csrutil status" -> Was enabled, so used "csrutil disable", then rebooted. Installation went fine. Went back and used "csrutil enable" to switch it back on.

You can just use the security configuration tool from the utilities menu in the recovery system. No need for Terminal.

distantrhythm

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2010
The Far North
Problem resolved.

This solution doesn't seem to work anymore. I went back to terminal and confirmed that "csrutil" was indeed disabled when I tried to install Avast (again, when it again it hung up during package validation). I re-enabled "csrutil", now I'm looking for a newer solution.

distantrhythm

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2010
The Far North
To expand on my above reply; while I was NOT able to successfully install the "avast_free_mac_security_online" .dmg file, I WAS able to successfully install the "avast_security_online" .dmg file, which is evidently different. I read on some forum (maybe Avast's) that Avast Security has replaced Avast Antivirus for the Mac, may be related. I didn't have to re-visit/disable the System Integrity Protection (SIP)/"csrutil" issue at all to complete this installation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.