Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

khester

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2005
Hey everyone,

Curious if someone out there can help me out. I have a QuickTime AVI file that I want to watch, but when I go to open it won't play.

Any advice. I think I have to download a Code X or somthing?

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
Download VLC. It will play pretty much every media file you come across, except Real and Windows Media. If you really want to use Quicktime, you'll have to poke around and find the right codec to install... which I wouldn't recommend. :)

khester

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2005
Thanks I will try it out. I tried downloading a codec but I didn't get sound. Hopefully this will work.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
khester said:
Thanks I will try it out. I tried downloading a codec but I didn't get sound. Hopefully this will work.
I suspect that you downloaded the 3ivx codec. To play the audio track with this codec, .avi files with .mp3 audio tracks require conversion with DivX Doctor II. DDII is available with from the 3ivx.com website. If you install the DivX 5.2.1 or DivX Fusion (DivX 6 beta), you can play the .avi files without conversion. Unlike the VLC player, the DivX codec will allow you to use .avi files in all of your QuickTime-compatible applications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.