Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

conorjay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2008
What are my options for avoiding the AT&T 2 Year contract with an iPhone?

I've lived in Korea for almost 3 years and have enjoyed the speedy 3G network they have provided. Next month I move back to the States to finish school in Cleveland. I'm planning to buy a 3G iPhone (when available), but wanted to get some advice on the ways I can avoid the AT&T Wireless 2 year contact because I could be out of the country in again in less than 2 years. I have a GoPhone active simcard that I can switchout with an unlocked iPhone, but I heard the balance notifications are annoying and I have no idea how the data plan would work.

Also, what is the penalty for breaking a 2-year AT&T iPhone contract?

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
What are my options for avoiding the AT&T 2 Year contract with an iPhone?

I've lived in Korea for almost 3 years and have enjoyed the speedy 3G network they have provided. Next month I move back to the States to finish school in Cleveland. I'm planning to buy a 3G iPhone (when available), but wanted to get some advice on the ways I can avoid the AT&T Wireless 2 year contact because I could be out of the country in again in less than 2 years. I have a GoPhone active simcard that I can switchout with an unlocked iPhone, but I heard the balance notifications are annoying and I have no idea how the data plan would work.

Also, what is the penalty for breaking a 2-year AT&T iPhone contract?

Just agree to the contract. It's easier being legit, and post-paid is much cheaper than pre-paid. Beginning May 25, AT&T contracts will be prorated:

The ETF will start at $175, but will decrease by $5 per month.

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/04/02/atandts-prorated-etf-gets-detailed/

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.