Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robgreene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Emotion. That seems to be the "Killer App" for Apple Vision Pro. Every reviewer that has tried this thing on has described their demo as a deeply emotional experience. From verklempt at the sight of loved ones in spatial video, to fear from charging rhinos and dinos, to joy from the overall immersion and level of realism, Apple seems to have developed a device that helps us FEEL things on a deeper level than any technology prior.

Will be interesting to see how the translates into sales.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Maybe but as always, only those with the deepest of pockets can have experiences/emotions others can’t.

Reminds me of Apple’s marketing video where the dad has the VP on his face while playing with his children. Would you prefer to a part of the moment or simply a witness to it?

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
Maybe but as always, only those with the deepest of pockets can have experiences/emotions others can’t.

Reminds me of Apple’s marketing video where the dad has the VP on his face while playing with his children. Would you prefer to a part of the moment or simply a witness to it?
Yes, but as we now know, you can also record Spatial Video on an iPhone 15 Pro/Max, so there’s less dependence on the Vision Pro itself for the recording of that memory. it’s far less intrusive and detached to be using your iPhone as opposed to wearing those goggles in an everyday situation.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
You will look into your real world room, and overlayed onto this in AR will be $100 dollar bills that will appear on the ceiling and float down gradually, beautifully rendered as if they were real, in front and behind your real word furniture.

You then have to control a virtual lifelike Tim Cook to zoom around the room, guiding him around your home, as he collects the money before it vanishes.

;)

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
You will look into your real world room, and overlayed onto this in AR will be $100 dollar bills that will appear on the ceiling and float down gradually, beautifully rendered as if they were real, in front and behind your real word furniture.

You then have to control a virtual lifelike Tim Cook to zoom around the room, guiding him around your home, as he collects the money before it vanishes.

;)
Cook’s been beta testing that game for months. He can’t wait to pwn some noobs next month.

Reactions: arkitect

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
Emotion. That seems to be the "Killer App" for Apple Vision Pro. Every reviewer that has tried this thing on has described their demo as a deeply emotional experience. From verklempt at the sight of loved ones in spatial video, to fear from charging rhinos and dinos, to joy from the overall immersion and level of realism, Apple seems to have developed a device that helps us FEEL things on a deeper level than any technology prior.

An emotional device you can only experience in isolation.

Something’s not right here

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
For me, it will be media consumption. Probably just watching movies, TV shows and Youtube.

Hard to say if this will take off or if it will go the way of other novelty devices and tech, but I do remember when the iPad came out, there was quite a bit of "what good is big iPhone?" skepticism, and we've seen how that turned out.

If they can get similar visuals in a cheaper device that does a little less and is more of a home entertainment device, I would definitely spring for it. The AVP does a lot of stuff that requires a lot of powerful hardware and software that is overkill for my uses.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria

That’s typical reactions to VR, and while that immersion is also the killer app for other VR sets, it hasn’t translated into them taking off - although they are much cheaper and often offer better graphics than a M2 chip does. So, I’d be sceptical. Plus, the reactions up until now have probably needed the approval of Apple‘s PR, so I wouldn’t trust them too much.

also, doesn’t “verklempt” mean “uptight”, “prudish”? At least the german “verklemmt”, which seems to be equivalent to the yiddish “verklempt”, does.

robgreene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
That’s typical reactions to VR, and while that immersion is also the killer app for other VR sets, it hasn’t translated into them taking off - although they are much cheaper and often offer better graphics than a M2 chip does. So, I’d be sceptical. Plus, the reactions up until now have probably needed the approval of Apple‘s PR, so I wouldn’t trust them too much.

also, doesn’t “verklempt” mean “uptight”, “prudish”? At least the german “verklemmt”, which seems to be equivalent to the yiddish “verklempt”, does.
1705508547334.png

Verklempt: overcome with emotion.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014

Yes, but as we now know, you can also record Spatial Video on an iPhone 15 Pro/Max, so there’s less dependence on the Vision Pro itself for the recording of that memory. it’s far less intrusive and detached to be using your iPhone as opposed to wearing those goggles in an everyday situation.
People can be pretty detached from moments when they record with their phones too, if they’re focusing on keeping it in frame. Something like a GoPro is most ideal. A VP does have one advantage of a GoPro in that you don’t have to think about keeping things in frame and you can even be part of the action since both your hands (I think?) and eyes are free. You just look really weird.

• Haha
Reactions: 4sallypat

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
For me, it will be media consumption. Probably just watching movies, TV shows and Youtube.

Hard to say if this will take off or if it will go the way of other novelty devices and tech, but I do remember when the iPad came out, there was quite a bit of "what good is big iPhone?" skepticism, and we've seen how that turned out.

If they can get similar visuals in a cheaper device that does a little less and is more of a home entertainment device, I would definitely spring for it. The AVP does a lot of stuff that requires a lot of powerful hardware and software that is overkill for my uses.
I’m more excited for this than the iPad. My personal iPad i barely touch cus i can’t find much use for it. I only use one extensively at the office

Reactions: 4sallypat

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012

Interesting take! I have to (eventually) see for myself😊

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I’m more excited for this than the iPad. My personal iPad i barely touch cus i can’t find much use for it. I only use one extensively at the office
Same here - excited about VP.

Also have an iPad at home and a work MDM iPad Pro - barely touch them as my Macs do the majority of my day to day...

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
An emotional device you can only experience in isolation.

Something’s not right here
Of course this is assuming you’re the only one who has one, which will probably be the case for at least awhile.

But also there’s nothing wrong with having an emotional experience in isolation. Sometimes those are even necessary in life. People seem to be making the assumption that isolation is always a bad thing. Isolation is very good, it’s over-isolation that is bad. And over-isolation is the fault of people, not devices which are just tools for specific purposes.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
That’s typical reactions to VR, and while that immersion is also the killer app for other VR sets, it hasn’t translated into them taking off - although they are much cheaper and often offer better graphics than a M2 chip does. So, I’d be sceptical.
I think the biggest emotional reaction was specifically to watching spatial video recordings. Have other VR headsets had that? Not that that feature alone is going to make VP a hit, but just wondering.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Even so, if I am reading a book in the living room I'm not as closed off from my surroundings and other family members as I am when wearing some enormous goggles.
I think for the VP it will depend on how well the EyeSight feature works. Either way you’ll look weird, but it may be enough to allow people to be and feel seen.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Having to strap a face-hugger to your head kinda works against the emotion part though. At least if we’re talking about good emotions. Also regarding the emotions of the people around you.

In addition, I’m not sure the “wow I’ll be so productive when traveling now” crowd would agree.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
People can be pretty detached from moments when they record with their phones too, if they’re focusing on keeping it in frame. Something like a GoPro is most ideal. A VP does have one advantage of a GoPro in that you don’t have to think about keeping things in frame and you can even be part of the action since both your hands (I think?) and eyes are free. You just look really weird.
The recent reviews mentioned that watching spacial videos with significant/jerky movement isn’t great (you get nausea), so recording while “being part of the action” may not always be a good idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.