Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
So I'm having an issue where there is no sound coming out on my AW SB SS. I do not have silent mode turn on or even mute on so I don't think that's an issue. So if i get alerts, I don't get any sound, I tested using my wife's phone to call myself and my watch can vibrate but there is no sound.

Just curious if anyone had this issue? I do have an appointment made later this evening.

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
I started a new thread before reading this one. I have the same problem, if there is a problem. Does the Apple Phone actually "ring." I hear a buzz, what is called "haptics," from the watch when I receive a phone call but not a ring.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
It's a common bug that's resolved by rebooting or hard rebooting (pressing the crown and side button until the Apple logo appears). If it's still broken, take it in.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Is your phone on silent?

Even if my phone is on silent, my watch will ring and make a tone and vibrate when there is a call coming in. Not too long ago I received an alert from my activity update, no sound but only vibrate, which I find it odd because when I do get alerts I always get sound as well. Just to reiterate, my watch is not on silent mode or in mute mode.

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
It's a common bug that's resolved by rebooting or hard rebooting (pressing the crown and side button until the Apple logo appears). If it's still broken, take it in.

That seems to have done it for me. Now it rings. It's kind of a tinny sound. Thanks very much.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Update: Went to the Genius bar, told them that my haptic and sound is intermittent even after restoring it. It's going to be sent of the the repair center and they will look at it and do some testing.

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
When you ask Siri a question, should you hear a beep after you stop talking to confirm that Siri is processing the request?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Update 2: Received an e-mail and a phone call from Apple stating that my Apple watch that I put in service is back and looks like it's going to be a new one. So hopefully everything will work.

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
Should there be a sound when there is incoming mail? I get the haptic but no sound.

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
Did your watch go through water like a shower or washing hands? I've also read a while back that some folks who did were experiencing a speaker issue for a while until all the water evaporated apparently. When it did their sound came back.

Reactions: Recognition

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I've also read a while back that some folks who did were experiencing a speaker issue for a while until all the water evaporated apparently. When it did their sound came back.

Yep, and this is not normal and indicative of an early sign of water ingress.

OP, do tell us if you've ever subject it to water.

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
Well, I went to the Apple Store and they unpaired and repaired the watch and made some other adjustments, but I still don't get sounds on mail. I've set it on Custom now and will see if that does anything

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Did your watch go through water like a shower or washing hands? I've also read a while back that some folks who did were experiencing a speaker issue for a while until all the water evaporated apparently. When it did their sound came back.

Yes of course it has gone through water for a few minutes when washing hands, etc. Anyways I got back from the apple store. Anyways, I received a new one in a white box and is brand new. All is good.

I've read on the Apple Support Community and a lot of people there have reported similar issues that I had so this isn't really an isolated incident.

Some people say that rebooting fixed it, some say it came back.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Yep, and this is not normal and indicative of an early sign of water ingress.

OP, do tell us if you've ever subject it to water.

Yes it has been to water but that's only for less than 10 seconds, but I don't think my issue had anything to do with water. as apple does stated in there support page that if the crown is sticky or hard to move to run the watch under water. (Or at least in the crown area)

Either way Apple service center has sent me a new one so all is well.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Yes of course it has gone through water for a few minutes when washing hands, etc. Anyways I got back from the apple store. Anyways, I received a new one in a white box and is brand new. All is good.

I've read on the Apple Support Community and a lot of people there have reported similar issues that I had so this isn't really an isolated incident.

Some people say that rebooting fixed it, some say it came back.

Two different issues: One is a recurring bug fixed by rebooting (a software issue) and another is a water ingress issue or a simple hardware failure (a hardware/manufacturing defect).

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
I get a ring sound on incoming calls but no ring sound on incoming mail, just a haptic buzz. The same with my wife's phone. Is this normal? J have my mail settings on Custom and it indicates that Mail should have haptic and sound.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.