Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SaddleSC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
Hello...I bought a new Series 5 for both my wife and myself. Mine is a 44mm and hers is a 40mm. I am upgrading from a Series 4 and she is upgrading from a Series 2. Everything went well with setup except for one issue with my wife's watch. It is not displaying any altimeter data or the longitude/latitude data. The compass itself appears to be working correctly.

Is there a setting or something software related that I am missing to enable this feature on her watch? Has anyone else had this issue? Is this likely a hardware issue that will require an exchange? Any insight is greatly appreciated...thanks!

Here is what her watch is currently displaying:

UT41SN3.jpg

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
Here are instructions from Apple Support. I have the same problem. But my privacy/location options are greyed out for Compass? Mine is set to "Never", and I can't make changes.

Allow Compass to access your location
When you open Compass for the first time, it requests permission to access your location. Tap While Using the App to grant permission.
If Compass doesn't see your location, check its settings:
  1. Open the Settings app on your Apple Watch.
  2. Tap Privacy > Location Services > Compass.
  3. Tap While Using the App.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
Figured it out. On your PHONE, go to Settings---->Privacy---->Location Services---->Compass. Make sure set to "While Using". This will then allow those settings on your Watch. Once I set to "While Using" on the WATCH, I had instant elevation as well as Lat/Lon

SaddleSC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
Figured it out. On your PHONE, go to Settings---->Privacy---->Location Services---->Compass. Make sure set to "While Using". This will then allow those settings on your Watch. Once I set to "While Using" on the WATCH, I had instant elevation as well as Lat/Lon

WOW...thank you for the detailed response. I will try it as soon as she gets home and report back. I truly appreciate your help!

SaddleSC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010

It worked...thanks again for your help...saved me a trip to the Apple Store!
Have a great night

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.