Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Quick background …

AWU - No cellular - wear it on my left wrist.

I was out this morning cutting up some smaller branches with a pruning saw with my left hand braced on the branch (3’ to 4” branches).
Apparently randomly the siren started going off. The third time I removed th watch and finished my shutting.

No clue what set the watch off. The action button brings up my workout screen.

The other issue is Fall Detection is triggering when I am playing with my dog; tug of war as an example.
Had to turn that off too.

Is there something I am missing on this watch or does it have sensitivity issues?
Does anyone know if the 8 is the same way?

Thanks in advance!

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
In the garden this past weekend, on hands and knees, I had the siren start to get ready to sound off. I had my hand bent all the way back … between the movement and the gloves and long sleeves and whatever else, it was enough to press and hold some combination of buttons long enough to make the watch excited.

Dollars to donuts the same thing happened when you were sawing branches.

As for fall detection when playing with the dog … I hope that’s a really big dog. I’ve never managed to trigger fall detection so far, including on my almost-since-release-day S4. If you’re at even a slight risk from falls, I’d suggest keeping it on save when you’re playing with the dog; it truly is a lifesaving feature.

b&

Reactions: dk001

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
My fall detection will go off occasionally if I pound my fist on something. I have also hit my watch on a door casing and it was set off. Never had the siren engage.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
In the garden this past weekend, on hands and knees, I had the siren start to get ready to sound off. I had my hand bent all the way back … between the movement and the gloves and long sleeves and whatever else, it was enough to press and hold some combination of buttons long enough to make the watch excited.

Dollars to donuts the same thing happened when you were sawing branches.

As for fall detection when playing with the dog … I hope that’s a really big dog. I’ve never managed to trigger fall detection so far, including on my almost-since-release-day S4. If you’re at even a slight risk from falls, I’d suggest keeping it on save when you’re playing with the dog; it truly is a lifesaving feature.

b&

I tried again today and think you are correct. Between arm and gloves it is triggering it somehow.

Not a big one - Shiba Inu.
We play tug a war a bit and the fall detect goes off. Worked fine on my AW7. Seems a bit sensitive on this Ultra.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
You can have fall detection kick off in exercise only, which would reduce false alarms. It obviously has its own risks.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Update:
Had to finally turn off Fall Detect, Crash Detect, Call SOS, and Siren.

Playing tug of war with my dog, chopping wood and related activities, and hikes that involved climbing have inadvertently set off one or more of these features.

You get tired of these sporadically going off when you are doing an activity. So far this has been my only major complaint. But it is a biggie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.