Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
I have noticed the same, but too many samples to be sure about this.
It's a bit stupid to buy an LTE for running without phone and switch it off ...
Do you have the link of this forum/post ?

yes, sure. Reporting starts a bit above:

avkam

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2014
For me LTE (On) AW5 only runs have (still) been very accurate. I have my crown up position because I like it more that way. Have been using WorkOutDoors.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
For me LTE (On) AW5 only runs have (still) been very accurate. I have my crown up position because I like it more that way. Have been using WorkOutDoors.

Ok, strange. I was using WorkoutDoors also.

To nail the issue more down: I have a aluminium AW 5 LTE and am using the original sport band. Crown was up, LTE on and iPhone and Wifi were in range when I had very bad results. iPhone left behind at home.
Forgot: watchOS 6.01.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
My experience FWIW - I've done several outdoor runs with my series5 (no phone) using the Apple Workout app.

I've seen two anomalies - one route hiccup where the GPS clearly pulled location points ~200 meters off the track briefly then corrected itself. Other appeared to be the GPS took about 3 minutes to start recording location information, but did fine once it started.

I've also had a couple weird gps tracks when on my fishing kayak using the outdoor-cycle workout since it's a pedal kayak -- however I had my phone with me so the watch GPS wouldn't have been involved.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
I did a test just right now. Switched off BT on my phone, Wifi on my AW off and LTE on AW on.
Waited until I had a blue bar in Workouts with 4 satellites, started a walk for 1km and the result was mixed:

Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-07 um 19.32.33.png

Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-07 um 19.34.32.png

From a distance perspective, I measured 1.025 with GPSies and the resulting track is 1.04km which is within tolerance.
What makes me nervous are the very strange hiccpus the watch takes from time to time.

Will repeat this with LTE switched off.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
I would like to raise a ticket with Apple when I have data that shows the problem. As I am a newbie with my Apple Watch: how to do so and does this make sense or will it be ignored anyway?

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
I have submitted a feedback to Apple (https://www.apple.com/feedback/) but I don't know if they read it.
I have contacted support for my first S5 watch, they have just sent me links to the documentation, how to start a workout, how to enhance accuracy and told me my watch is fine
Nothing interesting
If LTE corrupts GPS tracks, I will return my watch and take a GPS only one.

Reactions: NME42

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
London, UK
Huh? Please explain your thinking. I'm not seeing how a magnet in the band would in any way change the gps chip measuring the differences in radio signal arrival time from the visible gps satellites.
My bad, I got confused here. The magnet interferes with the compass and not GPS indeed.

Reactions: deeddawg

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Did my second test today. Same procedure (disconnected from iPhone, pre checking of GPS reception) but now with LTE off.

Track looks better, but not perfect. (Yellow is with LTE, blue is LTE off):

Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-08 um 18.00.41.png

I will raise a support ticket with Apple, found something under MySupport. Would be happy if you folks with problems could also raise a ticket so we get this thing resolved. Thanks!

Edit: colleague in German forum gave me these links:
Apple Bug Report für Customer: https://www.apple.com/feedback/
Apple Bug Report für Developer: https://bugreport.apple.com/web/

Also in chat with Apple support.

Last edited:
Reactions: rbart and Hertz77

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
Your test is very interesting and looks like my own tests ...
It's always difficult to be sure to reproduce a run in the same condition, but it seems that LTE localization is used in case of poor GPS reception ...
And it's not accurate at all.
I have 2-3 days to decide if I keep my cellular watch or return it to get a wifi/GPS version

avkam

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2014
... but it seems that LTE localization is used in case of poor GPS reception ...
And it's not accurate at all. ...
It shouldn't be that way really. But if it is that could be the reason why I'm not suffering poor GPS track with LTE on. I have done all my runs on very good LTE coverage.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Your test is very interesting and looks like my own tests ...
It's always difficult to be sure to reproduce a run in the same condition, but it seems that LTE localization is used in case of poor GPS reception ...
And it's not accurate at all.
I have 2-3 days to decide if I keep my cellular watch or return it to get a wifi/GPS version

I have the notion that calibration improved. But you are probably right with the LTE thing. Where I walked and had the hiccups, the LTE reception is not good. Not sure about the GPS reception though, have to check.

I would wait with the exchange until the next updates. You can always switch off LTE if it disturbs too much.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
I have a run tonight, I will try to do one part with LTE and one part without ...
Someone has tried watchOS 6.1 beta ?

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
To the testers.. have you tried using a 3P app, like WorkOutDoors that will let you confirm GPS signal strength before starting your activity? I have read that once you are moving GPS acquisition can struggle more. I did a walk recently, about 4 miles and there was one little hiccup but the track looked really good. I had my phone with me but turned off BT.. but it may have turned itself back on.

I will try again today with just the watch, one way with LTE and one way without. WIll be shorter tha 4 miles.. don’t have that much time.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
Two samples where we can see big glitches:
On the firt one, it shoult be on the blue line, on the second one, the top track must be near the yellow mark
It was at the middle of my run, but in some areas where LTE was probably poor and GPS also.
But I never has such glitches without LTE

Attachments

• Capture d’écran . 2019-10-09 à 16.04.20.png
    Capture d’écran . 2019-10-09 à 16.04.20.png
    208.4 KB · Views: 109
  • Capture d’écran . 2019-10-09 à 16.06.47.png
    Capture d’écran . 2019-10-09 à 16.06.47.png
    564 KB · Views: 114

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
To the testers.. have you tried using a 3P app, like WorkOutDoors that will let you confirm GPS signal strength before starting your activity? I have read that once you are moving GPS acquisition can struggle more. I did a walk recently, about 4 miles and there was one little hiccup but the track looked really good. I had my phone with me but turned off BT.. but it may have turned itself back on.

I will try again today with just the watch, one way with LTE and one way without. WIll be shorter tha 4 miles.. don’t have that much time.

Yes. On my tests I used Workoutdoors first to check the reception and then started tracking with the Apple app to avoid any interference maybe caused by WOD.

Reactions: PBz

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Just did a quick 20 minute walk. No phone. 10 minutes out with LTE on and 10 minutes back with LTE off. Both tracks look good IMO. I couldn’t pick a winner. THere is a slight shift in the sidewalk in one part of the route and the track accounted for it well IMO.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Just did a quick 20 minute walk. No phone. 10 minutes out with LTE on and 10 minutes back with LTE off. Both tracks look good IMO. I couldn’t pick a winner. THere is a slight shift in the sidewalk in one part of the route and the track accounted for it well IMO.

sounds hopeful. Thanks for the update!

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
I have made some tests during my last night run ...
... and it's difficult to have clear point of view.
I have made one half with LTE ON and one half with LTE OFF.
The trcking look similar in both cases, not perfect but not so bad.
I think LTE coverage was quite good in this area. I have logged with WOD, I don't know if I can analyze more by exportin GPS accuracy data into a GPX ?

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
I have made some tests during my last night run ...
... and it's difficult to have clear point of view.
I have made one half with LTE ON and one half with LTE OFF.
The trcking look similar in both cases, not perfect but not so bad.
I think LTE coverage was quite good in this area. I have logged with WOD, I don't know if I can analyze more by exportin GPS accuracy data into a GPX ?

you could try with mygpsfiles.com

Maybe first export FIT file and split it into halfs with fitfiletools.com. This is my spontaneous idea, there are probably a lot more efficient ways.

With mygpsfiles you can perfectly compare half 1 and 2.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
After checking, zooming, looking in GPX file of GPS accuracy, I haven't noticed any difference for this specific run.
I have to test again in an area with poor GPS/LTE reception.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
After checking, zooming, looking in GPX file of GPS accuracy, I haven't noticed any difference for this specific run.
I have to test again in an area with poor GPS/LTE reception.

which is a little ray of hope.

I have the theory that streaming via LTE has an impact. Could be a CPU problem. But very vague, need a test. Too bad I am injured that limits my testing capabilities. :-(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.