Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Illuminated

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Denver
Anyone else having atrocious issues with an external display on the new 16.2?

Unable to play sound on the iPad from any source. “Airplay is unavailable when connected to an external monitor.” With no fix from Apple. Can’t play YouTube videos with sound when connected. Can’t do anything with sound when connected. Kinda makes the whole thing pointless.

Then there are numerous display issues with things in Settings not lining up-scroll bar not on the edge, but in the middle of every screen.

Anyone else having issues and found a fix?

Apple support has been useless.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Unable to play sound on the iPad from any source. “Airplay is unavailable when connected to an external monitor.” With no fix from Apple. Can’t play YouTube videos with sound when connected. Can’t do anything with sound when connected. Kinda makes the whole thing pointless.
Yes same for me, I agree that it is useless. I can connect AirPods but nothing that uses AirPlay

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
When you connect an external monitor… sound automatically defaults to external monitor, but you can easily change the source. I‘ve been using Stage Manager since it’s been introduced and you are able to change the source (never had an issue with sound output).

Edit. You are correct.. AirPlay is unavailable when connected to a monitor.

I use AirPods, hopefully a fix come soon for you.

Then there are numerous display issues with things in Settings not lining up-scroll bar not on the edge, but in the middle of every screen.
Not entirely sure what you mean here. Perhaps, because I use a Magic Trackpad and never had to use the scroll-bar to manually move up and down.

Reactions: hovscorpion12

Illuminated

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Denver
When you connect an external monitor… sound automatically defaults to external monitor, but you can easily change the source. I‘ve been using Stage Manager since it’s been introduced and you are able to change the source (never had an issue with sound output).

Edit. You are correct.. AirPlay is unavailable when connected to a monitor.

I use AirPods, hopefully a fix come soon for you.

Not entirely sure what you mean here. Perhaps, because I use a Magic Trackpad and never had to use the scroll-bar to manually move up and down.
See screenshot attached.

Attachments

• 97F5EE9D-02A6-461A-8D7E-B1E78FE05B8A.png
    97F5EE9D-02A6-461A-8D7E-B1E78FE05B8A.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 233

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
I am guessing External Monitor support involves some flavor of AirPlay, where it sends both video and audio to the AirPlay target when it supports both. 'It would be nice' if it were possible to independent control them.

It would be not so annoying if there were a way to control audio on iPad itself as you can with AirPlay. But instead I have to navigate into the monitor menu to adjust volume, which is about 3 or 4 levels deep.

Despite this, EM support is something I'm looking forward to using. Hopefully some improvements to allow more control over audio are in the offing.

Reactions: VaruLV

Illuminated

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Denver
I am guessing External Monitor support involves some flavor of AirPlay, where it sends both video and audio to the AirPlay target when it supports both. 'It would be nice' if it were possible to independent control them.

It would be not so annoying if there were a way to control audio on iPad itself as you can with AirPlay. But instead I have to navigate into the monitor menu to adjust volume, which is about 3 or 4 levels deep.

Despite this, EM support is something I'm looking forward to using. Hopefully some improvements to allow more control over audio are in the offing.
What’s weird is that I was on a Zoom call with the external monitor plugged in and the sound was coming from the iPad!

Reactions: martens

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
It's weird, but it gives me hope that there may be some improvements coming.

Ponylover52

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2022
This absolutely something that should be improved and or mmimic the MacOS method of external display support. It really should not be this quirky.

fw85

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2023
Anyone tested if this issue still persists in the latest beta?
In the latest beta of iPadOS 17, I can AirPlay to my HomePod Mini just fine with the external monitor connected, so this seems to be fixed. I can also connect my AirPods to the iPad to stream audio there.
However in calls (such as on Teams), it still defaults to outputting sound and using the microphone from the connected display without giving me the option to change this.

Last edited:
Reactions: cathul

cathul

macrumors member
May 5, 2008
Thanks for the info.
I guess i'll do the update as soon as i'm back home and be able to make a backup first. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.