Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jesterengland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Can anyone help?
Since updating to 10.3 my ultra 2 has worse battery like than my old 7!
Tried restarting it and my phone. Background app refresh etc. any ideas?

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
When did you do the update? It’s quite common and normal for the watch to suck down the battery at a rate alarmingly above typical in the day or two after an update — the watch does all sorts of processing in the background after an update, which requires CPU cycles, which require energy.

(Personally, I wish that it would pause that sort of thing until on the charger … but it doesn’t.)

I’d also suggest not just restarting both watch and phone, but, before restarting, open the app switcher (on the watch, double-click the crown; on the phone, swipe up from the bottom edge) and close out of all apps. If that doesn’t work, I’d suggest seeing if a different watch face fixes it; if so, delete and re-add the offending one.

Also, make sure you’re using the preferred method to restart. On the watch, hold both the crown and side button not just until the screen goes blank, but until after the Apple logo appears. On the phone, press and release the up volume; press and release the down volume; press and hold the power button, again until the Apple logo appears.

If even that doesn’t work … come back here and / or reach out to Apple … there’s lots more to try, but it gets more annoying (unpair / re-pair, etc.).

… but, mostly, just give it a day or three.

b&

jesterengland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Thank you all for the input. I have tried all the suggestions and sadly they haven’t worked. Also tried uninstalling a couple of recent apps.

To give an idea of how much it’s changed. Until a few days ago I was charging back to 100% in the evening and then wearing my watch overnight. It used to go down to 90-95% by the time I woke up in the morning. It’s now doing down to about 45% overnight.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
finished the upgrade on my Ultra 2 this morning and took it off the charger and set it on my desk(wearing my S7 Titanium) like 3-4 hours ago and it is still at 100%...

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
Thank you all for the input. I have tried all the suggestions and sadly they haven’t worked. Also tried uninstalling a couple of recent apps.

To give an idea of how much it’s changed. Until a few days ago I was charging back to 100% in the evening and then wearing my watch overnight. It used to go down to 90-95% by the time I woke up in the morning. It’s now doing down to about 45% overnight.

First thing that pops into my mind … is that your watch might be stuck (for whatever reason) using cellular data. Make sure that your watch is on your local WiFi network and that it’s properly communicating with your phone via BlueTooth — ideally with your phone in the same room.

I’ve seen, for example, the “Private WiFi Address” setting inexplicably change, which can cause some WiFi routers (depending on security settings) to kick the device off the network.

b&

jesterengland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Hi everyone thanks for the suggestions. I tried all sorts of things and found the only thing that fixed it is unpairing and then restoring from backup. It appears to be back to normal now.

Reactions: souko

jesterengland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Well my battery started discharging again. It’s now going down about 40% in 8hrs.
The shocking thing is I talked to apple support on messaging and they actually suggested I just use low power mode! I said are you seriously suggesting I have to use my 5 month old £700 watch in low power mode!
Going to my local Apple Store later in the week. Hopefully I’ll have more luck!

Reactions: turbineseaplane

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Well my battery started discharging again. It’s now going down about 40% in 8hrs.
The shocking thing is I talked to apple support on messaging and they actually suggested I just use low power mode! I said are you seriously suggesting I have to use my 5 month old £700 watch in low power mode!
Going to my local Apple Store later in the week. Hopefully I’ll have more luck!
I took my Ultra2 off the charger 9 /12 hrs ago, have 79 min of workout time other and battery is at 88%.
Have you checked background app refresh settings? There got to be an app draining it ... it doesn't just drain by itself, unless, you have a faulty battery

rsnhakan

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2014
The Netherlands
Same here, I almost want to sell the AWU2. After taking it off the charger 2 hours later with no use -12%!

I also did a soft reset on the charger when it reached 100% and leaved it alone for 2 hours on the charger to calibrate the battery. Didn’t help

Reactions: turbineseaplane

jesterengland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
I’ve got a genius appointment tomorrow. If they try and tell me it’s normal I’ll be selling up too. On Apple support chat they just fobbed me off and said the battery tests fine.
I’ve tried everything, resets, background app refresh. Even going into low power mode makes no difference. It’s just gone down 40% overnight.

Reactions: rsnhakan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.