Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Hi All

I’ve recently noticed that the HR on my AWU2 is freezing for a few seconds and then jumping to what it should be. When I review the workout after (I’m using WorkOutDoors) there are either small gaps in the HR record or jumps up or down.

Now having noticed this I’ve kind of focused on it and also reviewed some other workouts over the last few weeks and the same seems to have happened.

It’s more noticeable if I’m doing some HIIT or cross training where my HR is up and down a fair bit.

I have had a dig through settings but can’t see anything obvious, am I missing a setting where it’s only recording HR every few seconds ?

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
It’s pretty difficult for it to track significant variations in heart rate - particularly HIIT activities.

Things you can do to help include:
* Moving it a little further away from your wrist bone.
* Wearing it tighter
* Wearing sleeves/gloves in cold weather
* Cleaning the back of the watch and your wrist.

A chest strap is the best way if HR is super important.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
It’s pretty difficult for it to track significant variations in heart rate - particularly HIIT activities.

Things you can do to help include:
* Moving it a little further away from your wrist bone.
* Wearing it tighter
* Wearing sleeves/gloves in cold weather
* Cleaning the back of the watch and your wrist.

Thanks for coming back …. I have tried the usual fixes …. I’ve used AW since day 1 and never had (or never noticed ) these issues. Shouldn’t be hard to track a heart rate up and down if it’s constantly monitored it certainly shouldn’t freeze. Since posting this I’ve dug out some Apple forums where runners have experienced gaps in HR with the ultra In a variety of situations. I’ll wear my S9 for a few workouts and see what happens. Thanks again.

Reactions: arkitect

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Good luck :) One other thing I forgot to mention is that when I run I typically start the HR monitor a couple of minutes before I start my exercise. That way it's already got a starting position. I can't say for sure that this helps, but I feel like it does. Though if I'm doing HIIT I'd expect gaps all the same.

Reactions: ukms

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Hi All

I’ve recently noticed that the HR on my AWU2 is freezing for a few seconds and then jumping to what it should be. When I review the workout after (I’m using WorkOutDoors) there are either small gaps in the HR record or jumps up or down.

Now having noticed this I’ve kind of focused on it and also reviewed some other workouts over the last few weeks and the same seems to have happened.

It’s more noticeable if I’m doing some HIIT or cross training where my HR is up and down a fair bit.

I have had a dig through settings but can’t see anything obvious, am I missing a setting where it’s only recording HR every few seconds ?
OP, in my experience the AWU2 is not up to it for HIIT. The HR jumps about and is just too laggy to update to be useful.

I thought I'd get away with only the watch and leave the chest strap, but *sigh* I'm back to wearing the chest strap — which I hate.

For long and slow and steady the watch by itself does a great job.

100% agree.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.