Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Hey Folks.
So today my boss mentioned that it would be really nice to use babel fish to translate our entire website much like what is being done here:
http://www.golfgolden.com/content/view/10/33/
with the babelfish box on the left side.
This actually isn't a bad idea over all, except when I try running our website through babel fish it breaks the DHTML drop down menus, I suspect this has to do with the fact that babelfish sticks the site into a frame but I'm wondering if anyone has or knows of a work around for this??

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
Online translators are not very accurate with translating texts. It's much better to just pay a professional to do it for you.

As for the dropdowns, you could consider replacing them with "suckerfish" dropdowns that use only HTML and CSS and a little tiny javascript for IE.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
dornoforpyros said:
Hey Folks.
So today my boss mentioned that it would be really nice to use babel fish to translate our entire website much like what is being done here:
http://www.golfgolden.com/content/view/10/33/
with the babelfish box on the left side.
This actually isn't a bad idea over all, except when I try running our website through babel fish it breaks the DHTML drop down menus, I suspect this has to do with the fact that babelfish sticks the site into a frame but I'm wondering if anyone has or knows of a work around for this??

Babelfish is an abomination, useful only for laughs. Here's a paragraph from a German news website (FAZ.net) translated into English.
"Because on 22 July officials shot the innocent Brazilian Jean Charles de Menezes, whom they had regarded as a terrorist. For Blair however the reproaches, it are more serious an independent investigation of the "Independent policy Complaints Commission" in the case Menezes to stop wanted."

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Although I personally agree with you guys and what you say about babelfishes translation being brutal. I know for a fact if I can make this work my bosses will be happy.

Yeah it's incorrect and in-accurate but if the GM goes "hey great job" thats the best I can hope for as appose to "we need to build 4 separate sites, one for each language"

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
You should learn how to use PHP to feed information from a language file instead, like the method I used on Too Cool For IE

If you feel that something is bad, then as a web designer, you need to stand up to those above you and explain why it is bad and convince them of a better way to do something. They will respect you more if you start contributing ideas and things that will work better than if you just do what they say and never give any input at all.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
mnkeybsness said:
You should learn how to use PHP to feed information from a language file instead, like the method I used on Too Cool For IE

If you feel that something is bad, then as a web designer, you need to stand up to those above you and explain why it is bad and convince them of a better way to do something. They will respect you more if you start contributing ideas and things that will work better than if you just do what they say and never give any input at all.

lol obviosly you've never worked in our office, "best choice" or "better" don't come into play :p

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
dornoforpyros said:
lol obviosly you've never worked in our office, "best choice" or "better" don't come into play :p

Dude... I'm working in an office right now, as a web designer for a very large site. It's all in learning how to work the politics around the office and have people respect you for your contributions and talents.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
mnkeybsness said:
Dude... I'm working in an office right now, as a web designer for a very large site. It's all in learning how to work the politics around the office and have people respect you for your contributions and talents.

yeah but you've also got to pick you battles. The website is just a small portion of what I do and this paticular part of it is even a smaller portion of it.There's other things I'd rather focus my energy on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.