Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Hi all. I've recently updated my M1 Air 2020 to Sonoma 14.2.1.

Notwithstanding the horrible Settings layout, I like the aesthetics and upgrades to older Mac OS versions.

There is, however, a feature that still seems to be absent/disabled by default. This has to do with the ability to go back or forward one level in the Finder windows. Years ago, around 2015, I remember using this feature on my old MBP. Over the years, however, I have not seen it implemented.

Is there any way to enable it so I need not use the trackpad every time I want to go back or forward in a window?

Thanks!

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Is there any way to enable it so I need not use the trackpad every time I want to go back or forward in a window?
Here is the full list:

But these are the ones you're interested in. Some of them depend on what view you're using.

Untitled.jpg

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
So what about the rest of the world where we don't have these stupid bracket keys on our keyboard. This has always irritated me.

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
You can personalise the key commands in system settings, and lately macOS automatically translate the key-combination to something that's available on the current keyboard.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
So what about the rest of the world where we don't have these stupid bracket keys on our keyboard. This has always irritated me.
Use the appropriate shortcut keys for your system.

Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 8.41.05 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben J.

maccidents

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2024
United States
To go back in Finder, press Command (⌘) and the left square bracket [ key. To go forward, use Command (⌘) and the right square bracket ] key

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
With Finder active, select menu View > Show Path Bar. The Path Bar will appear at the bottom of your Finder windows. Items in the Path Bar are like "bread crumbs". You can click on any folder displayed in the Path Bar and the Finder window will show contents of that folder. Not exactly a "back" and "forward" but nearly so.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
With Finder active, select menu View > Show Path Bar. The Path Bar will appear at the bottom of your Finder windows. Items in the Path Bar are like "bread crumbs". You can click on any folder displayed in the Path Bar and the Finder window will show contents of that folder. Not exactly a "back" and "forward" but nearly so.
Yes. The path bar, tabs bar, and tools bar, I use them all the time.
The path bar is essential for navigation.

It's just that I was always annoyed when I saw these 'brackets' referenced, and I didn't know the equivalent on my keyboard. Until today. Ø and Æ. Not that I think I'm going to start using them a lot, but I kinda feel like a missing piece of puzzle has showed up after decades. And it was there, under my nose, all this time. :)

Reactions: chabig

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Thanks, Bogdan.
I do of course know about apple supports' shortcuts info, but looking at them again now, they actually say that the shortcuts for moving back/forward in finder windows are: cmnd-BRACKETS! (not Ø/Æ)
It's obviously a simple translation.

So there! ;)
I’m sorry, I presumed they are the same keys.
That is: they display Ø/Æ and you get [] when pressing them with option (⌥).
But I see now that the Norwegian keyboard is weird :)
https://www.apple.com/no/shop/product/MK2A3H/A/magic-keyboard-norsk

Reactions: chabig

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
If you mean going one level up then it's Cmd-Arrow Up, works on Sonoma as always.
Thanks. Actually, I realised I should have worded this accurately.
In fact, I'd like to have the ability to use two finger swipe (left or right) to move between levels.
I used this years ago in 2015, and now there seems to be no way to enable this.
I inadvertently let others think that I am looking for keyboard shortcuts. My apologies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.