Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lpuerto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2014
Europe
Hey!

Since I updated to BigSur 11.0.1 I'm experiencing black screens for a second from time to time. Perhaps once or twice a day. Just working on the computer and the screen goes black for a second or half or a second and then returns to normal.

Am I the only one or something is going on?

mackiee

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2014
Hey!

Since I updated to BigSur 11.0.1 I'm experiencing black screens for a second from time to time. Perhaps once or twice a day. Just working on the computer and the screen goes black for a second or half or a second and then returns to normal.

Am I the only one or something is going on?
Unfortunately you are not the only one. I have this problem too with a new Mac mini M1 and a new LG UltraFine 4K display. I also had it with macOS 11.0 (that came preinstalled on the Mac mini).

Connected with the Thunderbolt cable that came with the monitor. It seems to happen very intermittently 2-3 times a day. First I thought it was related to the CPU momentarily working with a high load but not all the time and it is certainly not reproducable.

What mac and monitor (and cable) do you use?

cujoe

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2020
Same here. 15" touchbar MacBook Pro, built-in screen. Exactly as you describe: Screen goes dark for maybe half a second, once or twice a day. I've had the machine for a year and a half, this happens only since installing Big Sur.

mackiee

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2014
Same here. 15" touchbar MacBook Pro, built-in screen. Exactly as you describe: Screen goes dark for maybe half a second, once or twice a day. I've had the machine for a year and a half, this happens only since installing Big Sur.
Interesting! I thought this was mainly a problem with external displays.

Janeilfen

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2018
Sorry, I know this is an old thread but all of a sudden my (new) 2018 mini has just started to do this. Running BS11.1
Has there been a resolution for this?

mackiee

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2014
Sorry, I know this is an old thread but all of a sudden my (new) 2018 mini has just started to do this. Running BS11.1
Has there been a resolution for this?
You will find more info about this issue in the following thread:

lpuerto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2014
Europe
My impression is that the last update fixed the issue… I haven't seen any black screen on days.

4bs

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2020
I’m getting this issue on my 2012 MBP running Catalina. Also screen flickers black during startup.

lpuerto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2014
Europe
Hey!

For the record. I'm getting this issue again… I had observed it recently before and after macOS 11.2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.