Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryankul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2014
Michigan
I really like iPhones and iOS. I dislike the pricing. Bought a iPhone 7 (within our budget) months back for the wife and I. We both were having the notorious no service issue. It would come and go but was super annoying. Surprisingly my wife was the one that said she wanted a different phone and not a iPhone. We could send them in for a quality program but would be without a phone for awhile. No big deal as I’m comfortable with both iPhone and Android. The iPhone 7 were $200 each retail on Consumers Cellular. Around a 4 year old phone.

Ended up picking up a Motorola G7 for her ($179 on sale) and a G7 Play for me ($99 on sale). I got her the nicer phone as I’m mainly on my iPad. She uses her phone more.

So for $279 we got two phones that are fairly new. USB C, good battery, good screen and a fairly pure operating system. Insane on the pricing differences. Add $40 more and we each got a good case and protector. (Phones and accessories at BestBuy).

There are rumors swirling about a new budget iPhone. If it’s true and the pricing is $399/$499 that’s still not budget pricing. Makes me think if Apple ever made it very basic iPhone for $200/250 they would take over the market.

My iPad is not going anywhere as it’s my little work horse and I love it. Crazy part is the entry level iPad is much cheaper then any of the iPhones.

I guess a little rant. Really like iPhones but hard to justify a several year old phone for over $200.

Anyone using Android and a iPad in the daily mix?

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I really like iPhones and iOS. I dislike the pricing. Bought a iPhone 7 (within our budget) months back for the wife and I. We both were having the notorious no service issue. It would come and go but was super annoying. Surprisingly my wife was the one that said she wanted a different phone and not a iPhone. We could send them in for a quality program but would be without a phone for awhile. No big deal as I’m comfortable with both iPhone and Android. The iPhone 7 were $200 each retail on Consumers Cellular. Around a 4 year old phone.

Ended up picking up a Motorola G7 for her ($179 on sale) and a G7 Play for me ($99 on sale). I got her the nicer phone as I’m mainly on my iPad. She uses her phone more.

So for $279 we got two phones that are fairly new. USB C, good battery, good screen and a fairly pure operating system. Insane on the pricing differences. Add $40 more and we each got a good case and protector. (Phones and accessories at BestBuy).

There are rumors swirling about a new budget iPhone. If it’s true and the pricing is $399/$499 that’s still not budget pricing. Makes me think if Apple ever made it very basic iPhone for $200/250 they would take over the market.

My iPad is not going anywhere as it’s my little work horse and I love it. Crazy part is the entry level iPad is much cheaper then any of the iPhones.

I guess a little rant. Really like iPhones but hard to justify a several year old phone for over $200.

Anyone using Android and a iPad in the daily mix?

So this doesn’t directly answer your question, but if you’re looking for a phone for $200, there just aren’t a lot of options that will provide you and your wife any stability. Maybe you could find a used Pixel 3a for $250/$300 but I wouldn’t really recovered anything else on the Android side for that cheap now.

ryankul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2014
Michigan
So this doesn’t directly answer your question, but if you’re looking for a phone for $200, there just aren’t a lot of options that will provide you and your wife any stability. Maybe you could find a used Pixel 3a for $250/$300 but I wouldn’t really recovered anything else on the Android side for that cheap now.

Yea. It's probably just me but a smartphone is something I won't buy used. Battery condition, physical condition, use and care etc.

The G7's we picked up are really nice phones. I guess I'm just saying I probably won't have an iPhone for awhile unless the pricing structure changes drastically which I'm not holding my breath.

For now I'm very happy with the pricing structure of the iPads and really enjoy mine. Smartphones are getting out of hand at some exceeding the 1k range. A lot of places saying budget phone but follow up with this one is only $499/$599 lol.

Motorola and Nokia have been my favorite Android phones. Never really liked any Android tablets except my Nexus 7 I had.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.