Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrlcopy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
After 30 mins of trying to get them to connect to bluetooth, only for it to constantly drop the connection. Discovered...

Airpods (3rd generation) require macOS Monterey or later.

Like common, you just put out a BigSur point update recently, so stupid. Why can't they even just operate without the spatial audio or something. AirPods pro work as far back as Catalina... Why would you tie headphones with an OS release.

I can't upgrade due to work software, so I guess maybe in 2022/2023 I can buy them.

BB-8

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2015
New Zealand
I feel it might be more that your pair is faulty.

At their core, AirPods are still Bluetooth headphones and the basic Bluetooth pairing function should still work with any modern device that will let you connect a wireless set of headphones. That line about it requiring Monterey is probably for specific features of the AirPods (such as Siri or spatial audio as a non-specific example) that Apple advertises. Basic Bluetooth pairing wouldn't require Monterey though.

jrlcopy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
Yeah weird, I set it up on my iphone first, that went great. Then went to choose it on my mac, it would connect to bluetooth, but then would click the speaker icon like I always did, choose the New Airpods, it would try to connect and then it would drop, bluetooth would disconnect. Rinse and repeat.

Yeah maybe I got a bad pair? I have the 2nd gen airpods, been using them the same way between devices for years now.

velo

Suspended
Dec 5, 2008
Working fine on my old mbp with Big Sur. I did set up on my iPhone first though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.