Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Because my Galaxy S3 is running as an emulation device for the weekend! Have it hooked up to my Samsung 46inch LED with the hdmi adaptor, paired to PS3 controllers and is running MAME and SNES emulator. Got hooked into playing Secret of Mana and the original Double Dragon game so thankfully I have the iPhone 4s laying around so I could use it as a phone for the weekend!

Not trying to start another iPhone vs Galaxy but this is badass! Will post pics of this setup later!

Last edited:

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Because my Galaxy S3 is running as an emulation device for the weekend! Have it hooked up to my Samsung 46inch LED with the hdmi adaptor, paired to PS3 controllers and is running MAME and SNES emulator. Got hooked into playing Secret of Mana and the original Double Dragon game so thankfully I have the iPhone 4s laying around so I could use it as a phone for the weekend!

Not trying to start another iPhone vs Galaxy but this is badass! Will post pics of this setup later!

I do the same, except with Modern Combat and NOVA3.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Dead trigger is cool too. But I agree old school emulators are bad ass. Depending on the emulator you can use the old game genie' codes to give you an advantage.

I beat the legend of Zelda for the first time (no cheating) just recently even though I grew up with the game. Lol. But my all time fav, Goldeneye....on a measly 46"

47a63a40-ace8-78de.jpg

Excuse the picture quality. I'm finding it difficult to take a picture of this, but you get the idea....

Last edited:

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Dead trigger is cool too. But I agree old school emulators are bad ass. Depending on the emulator you can use the old game genie' codes to give you an advantage.

I beat the legend of Zelda for the first time (no cheating) just recently even though I grew up with the game. Lol. But my all time fav, Goldeneye....on a measly 46"

Excuse the picture quality. I'm finding it difficult to take a picture of this, but you get the idea....

Have you solved the S3 issue of not being able to put apps on the external sd card? Modern combat and NOVA3 take up nearly 3gb of space on their own. Old school games are no problem, like nes, snes or n64. They are small in size.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Thats awesome! Please post some picts and how it works ;)

If you have a Samsung smart tv, you don't need any cords or special apps. Just beam right to the tv from the phone ala Apple TV and an iphone or ipad.

If you have a normal tv (must have an hdmi connector though) you can buy a special micro 11pin adabptor, which connects the phone to the tv. Most allow you to plug in to a power supply and recharge the phone while you play.

If you want to do work, connect a bt keyboard and mouse to the phone and it becomes a pc. A mouse pointer pops up on sreen and you select apps or icons just like you would on a pc. Open a word doc and create one or make changes to one via the keyboard, save it and email it all via mouse and keyboard and a big arse 46 inch tv as your monitor. :D

These are just a couple of the things that make the S3 awesome.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Have you solved the S3 issue of not being able to put apps on the external sd card? Modern combat and NOVA3 take up nearly 3gb of space on their own. Old school games are no problem, like nes, snes or n64. They are small in size.

That's on my Xoom. But I heard that Samsung designed it that way. The SD is more for video, pic and music while the app stay on the phone like an iPhone. I'm sure there will be a root work around for this if there isn't already...

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
That's on my Xoom. But I heard that Samsung designed it that way. The SD is more for video, pic and music while the app stay on the phone like an iPhone. I'm sure there will be a root work around for this if there isn't already...

I guess i need to turn my brightness up a bit. Didn't look close enough at your pic. :D just assumed withma,Samsung tv you were using an S3.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
You can put the ROM files on the microsd card and have the rom directory in the emulators put to a folder there. That's how I do it

ROM's aren't the issue. That is a simple fix, but one I don't bother with because the files are small.

Nova3 and Modern Combat are 1.5gb each and they are actual game apps. They can't be moved to an external sd card without screwing the game up. I tried to do it with an apk called Directory Bind, but I guess the S3 is too smart. I can bind the directories, but it still won't function properly. The data still needs to be on the internal sd card for the game to work.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You can put the ROM files on the microsd card and have the rom directory in the emulators put to a folder there. That's how I do it

I think he means large game apps. Roms are relatively small until you start getting into PlayStation roms....

Edit : too slow

Last edited:

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
If you have a Samsung smart tv, you don't need any cords or special apps. Just beam right to the tv from the phone ala Apple TV and an iphone or ipad.

If you have a normal tv (must have an hdmi connector though) you can buy a special micro 11pin adabptor, which connects the phone to the tv. Most allow you to plug in to a power supply and recharge the phone while you play.

If you want to do work, connect a bt keyboard and mouse to the phone and it becomes a pc. A mouse pointer pops up on sreen and you select apps or icons just like you would on a pc. Open a word doc and create one or make changes to one via the keyboard, save it and email it all via mouse and keyboard and a big arse 46 inch tv as your monitor. :D

These are just a couple of the things that make the S3 awesome.

That's awesome, thanks for the info!:D

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I'd say one of the three biggest reasons I left iOS for Android and wanted to do so for more than a year is because... emulators on Android!

IOS has lots as lots of amazing games, but there's nothing like playing your old kid games.

It's a joy to play donkey Kong on a 4.8 screen. Game gear games, metal slug, Zelda, n64, psx, etc.

Love it. Love it.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Here's a photo of the setup using my TV upstairs running playing Metal Slug 2. This is a Panasonic Plasma 42inch 720p. Sorry about the crappy photo quality, it was taken with an iPhone :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_2329.jpg
    IMG_2329.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 190

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
I was using the iPhone through the weekend thinking that I would probably leave the Galaxy S3 hooked up to the TV indefinitely but I put the SIM back to the S3 on Sunday night.

1. Battery life on the iPhone 4S was terrible. Minor use and it went 100% to 80% in less than half an hour in just sending a few text messages, 1 10 minute phone call, posted 1 instagram photo, and read on twitter and facebook for a few minutes. I do the same routine on my S3 and I will have more than 95% battery. Battery was at 10% by 5PM when when I had the phone unplugged from charger at 9AM.

2. Got too used to the big screen on the Samsung. It's really difficult reading on the smaller screen. Simple physics, not much more to say

3. Galaxy takes better photos. One can argue this all day but people have noticed the change in quality on photos I post to Picasa, Facebook, and Instagram.

4. The Back Button. You will have no idea how useful this is until you truly experience Android. It may not seem like a big deal at first and I thought the same thing too but when I was using my iPhone, I was really missing it!

5. LTE - High speed speaks for itself. Hopefully this will be on the iPhone 5.

6. Google Music - Much better than the stupid Music Match and Google Music is free. If you haven't experienced it, then you have nothing to argue about.

What I Missed on the iPhone

1. iMessage / Facetime Integration with MacOS - This works really well for me. Love how everything integrates with other iOS devices as well as Mac OSX. Sure there are Android alternatives to texting on your desktop like Mighty Text but it isn't as refined as how iOS does it. If WhatsApp had a desktop application then I'd easily drop iMessage.

2. Shoot pictures using the volume button - the way the iphone is designed, it's shape makes it a perfect point and shoot sized camera.

3. Photos automatically upload to iPhoto and Aperture libraries through PhotoStream - sure there's Drop Box but with PhotoStream, I don't really have to think about it when I want to pull up photos from my Mac

4. Mail App. I hate the default Mail App on the Galaxy S3 (for exchange mail). So much smoother on the iPhone and the Corporate Directory is very well integrated.

5. Most car audio systems including my headunit has better support for the iPhone especially for Pandora and other Music players. I can use Bluetooth on Android but sound quality through the cable is much better.

I think what I'll do is have my Samsung be the weekday driver since battery life and reading emails on a larger screen is more importnt to me. Both phones are equaly fast and work smoothly but the S3 has LTE which I really enjoy using.

On the weekend, when I don't have to really on battery life as much (calling clients, my employees, sales team, etc) I can use my iPhone while I have the S3 hooked up to the TV to play videogames :)

affluxashish

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
ROM's aren't the issue. That is a simple fix, but one I don't bother with because the files are small.

Nova3 and Modern Combat are 1.5gb each and they are actual game apps. They can't be moved to an external sd card without screwing the game up. I tried to do it with an apk called Directory Bind, but I guess the S3 is too smart. I can bind the directories, but it still won't function properly. The data still needs to be on the internal sd card for the game to work.

The DirectoryBind app does work (Though not for all games, but I can confirm for Nova3 and few others that I have got working). When the directory is bind it will appear as if files are on the internal SD. That is the reason you will see the files (just the way the OS will see them on the internal SD) there. However if you unbind the directory then your internal SD will only have a blank folder for Nova 3.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Changed the title slightly to focus more on gaming on the big screen. Just played Nova and was surprised how smoothly the game ran. It was as if I was using a game console vs a smart phone. Quite impressed with the setup with the Galaxy S3 + HDMI to TV + PS3 Controller. Anyone else have a different phone or device setup?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Changed the title slightly to focus more on gaming on the big screen. Just played Nova and was surprised how smoothly the game ran. It was as if I was using a game console vs a smart phone. Quite impressed with the setup with the Galaxy S3 + HDMI to TV + PS3 Controller. Anyone else have a different phone or device setup?

Try the app twonky. You can stream media to an Xbox or ps3 from your device wirelessly. It's cool because for me I can goto a friends house (they all have a ps3 or Xbox) and stream content to the tv without having to bring any accessory wires or devices. Runs in the background too so you can still use the phone normally.

Nice at parties for music too.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Try the app twonky. You can stream media to an Xbox or ps3 from your device wirelessly. It's cool because for me I can goto a friends house (they all have a ps3 or Xbox) and stream content to the tv without having to bring any accessory wires or devices. Runs in the background too so you can still use the phone normally.

I have used twonky in the past and it's a bit wonky. Air sync double twist works a lot better

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus

goodpost.gif

Damn. A big THANK YOU for this app. This works with Apple TV as well according to the instructions. I just bought a Nexus 7, and was wondering if I would be able to watch video's from my iMac (my video server) and iit appears that I will be able to. Still learning how to use the app and all the features. Literally downloaded it as soon as I read your comment. Thanks again.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I have used twonky in the past and it's a bit wonky. Air sync double twist works a lot better

Can you stream content to any media server though? Like ps3, Xbox, appletv etc? I'm not seeing too much about that in the description....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.