Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
So we all know laptops used to all be plastic cases. Then eventually either tastes changed, metal chassis construction got cheaper, or a need for the chassis to be a heat sink made most of them switch to metal cases. But metal chassis are COLD and uncomfortable on the lap, wrists and hands.

Now that we have M-series chips that barely even need a fan (some devices not even having one) doesn't this mean we can get back to nicely-designed plastic chassis laptops that don't have this thermally-conductive metal constantly causing wrist/hand aches/pain (at least for me)? This is why I currently prefer using an Ipad in a plastic keyboard case, but if a Macbook came this way again I'd probably get one.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
The last plastic MacBook was beautiful, I owned one, but also thick and heavy. That plastic needed a structural metal frame. Aluminum really is the way to go. Not a just matter of taste or heat.

Maybe get a skin?

Reactions: pdoherty and chabig

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Now that we have M-series chips that barely even need a fan (some devices not even having one) doesn't this mean we can get back to nicely-designed plastic chassis laptops that don't have this thermally-conductive metal constantly causing wrist/hand aches/pain (at least for me)?

sincerely sorry about the pain.. but people still worry and complain about the M series chips thermally throttling... the metal cases do in fact still play a role in heat dissipation, not to mention being stronger and allowing for smaller builds. I dont see Apple changing on this anytime soon.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
Please not!
Care to say? Is it just as impressive/elegant looking at the Starbucks?

(not necessarily to you, unless you agree) Why does everyone care so much about the looks of a square laptop that looks 90% the same as every other laptop?

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
The last plastic MacBook was beautiful, I owned one, but also thick and heavy. That plastic needed a structural metal frame. Aluminum really is the way to go. Not a just matter of taste or heat.

Maybe get a skin?
You know that didn't even occur to me - a silicone skin would actually help. I'll look and see which ones actually cover the top of the laptop (where wrists/hands touch).

Last edited:

Rnd-chars

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2023
Are you thinking of something plastic-like that’s more environmentally friendly than plastic, or are you referring to actual plastic? If it’s the latter, Apple’s not going to touch it for environmental reasons.

If it’s the former, I would wager their material science team is figuring out what comes next after aluminum, but I’d wager it’s either highly abundant or leverages recycled materials (like FineWoven products).

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
Yeah, something ecologically friendly. Anything that's not so thermally-conductive like metal would work.

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
Plastic is often equated in consumer minds with cheapness, right or wrong. I can’t see Apple going back in that direction.
If Apple wants to get into the sub-$999 MSRP then that is likely their direction.

The danger here is that when Apple is successful they may be charged of anti-trust behavior.

Them limiting their business to the top 20% of any market they participate in assures them a great margin at the same time not getting the attention of big govt.

This does not always work in rich countries where in where in over 1 of 2 users go with $429-1599 iPhones

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
If Apple wants to get into the sub-$999 MSRP then that is likely their direction.

The danger here is that when Apple is successful they may be charged of anti-trust behavior.

Them limiting their business to the top 20% of any market they participate in assures them a great margin at the same time not getting the attention of big govt.

This does not always work in rich countries where in where in over 1 of 2 users go with $429-1599 iPhones
They're hitting the "magic" sub-1K price point by offering a previous gen MBA for $999. I think plastic or plastic-like went away for Apple with the iPhone 5c. But I could very well be wrong, and you could very well be right when considering Apple moving into emerging or struggling markets at a sub-$999 price point. Only Apple knows the truth on that one.

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
They're hitting the "magic" sub-1K price point by offering a previous gen MBA for $999. I think plastic or plastic-like went away for Apple with the iPhone 5c. But I could very well be wrong, and you could very well be right when considering Apple moving into emerging or struggling markets at a sub-$999 price point. Only Apple knows the truth on that one.
Average selling price of personal computers (PCs) worldwide from 2015 to 2019, in actual is $599-632 and constant currency is $672-733

Reactions: pdoherty
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.