Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I just wiped the boot disk of my little server from Catalina and went back to Sierra Server. The reasons are simple:
  • Content caching that works nicely.
  • TimeMachine that always works.
  • A Server interface that makes control simple and tells me whether all the Macs in the house are getting backed up.
  • I might crank up the mail server if I need it and maybe a VPN, but that is better deployed on my router.
I moved Media serving to a newer mini hooked to my TV. Keeping my main library on a Mac Pro synced with the differing iTunes formats was a bit of a hassle. With Music on Catalina or Big Sur, I can copy the library, database, and Container with the art folder and all is great.

My CarbonCopy clone of the earlier Sierra install abandoned in Fed 2020 would not boot, so I had to install from a stick with the date wound back using date. I downloaded the updated installer later but did not want to wait. I was able to use Migration Assistant. TimeMachines backups from a mix of systems but mainly Big Sur simply works. I had lots of issues with Catalina serving. It would start and then mysteriously stop later never to work again.

Very efficient, too. This box only has 8GB, but only 4GB are in use with a normal load leaving the rest as cache.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.