Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Well I did it and I'm still not sure why I did it. I'm back on Intel for my main PC.

TL;DR
The last Intel chip I personal bought for my own rig was the 7700K, still running 24/7 today in a different rig.
I then went Ryzen 1700 when it went pre-order. Skipped 2000 series, went 3800X, and ended at 5950X from launch until this past weekend.
I still have my Mac desktops at work, the iMac Pro 18Core and a 9900K iMac.
MacBook Pro will probably always be my main mobile computer, currently M1 Ultra 16".

So back to today.
Throughout my Ryzen time there was always something that I did miss from leaving Intel. Just basic general every day stability.
Even with the 5950X, there were just random instabilities, especially with USB, sometimes graphics that was just an annoyance not a big deal. Until years go by with the same annoyance, you can only write it off for so long before excepting.

So, the current system is:

Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
ASUS Z690 Maximus Hero
Intel i9-12900KS
gSkill TridentZ DDR5 6400 32GB
Samsung 980 Pro 2TB nvme
Gigabyte 2TB nvme
EVGA 3090 Kingpin
Intel x520 da2 10gB NIC
1200mm of radiators
2 - D5 pumps
Corsair XC7 CPU block (temporarily)

Currently the CPU is set to a 5.7Ghz single core, 5.6 quad core, 5.5 octo core and 4.2 on the e-cores
I de-lidded the cpu, replaced solder with liquid metal and replaced the Intel IHS with a solid flat machined copper IHS.
This dropped 10-12C off the top. It normally runs in the 40s during games.
RAM is at 6800 MHz.

I have been putting the system through several stress tests, cpu and memory and everything has been solid so far.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I flip flop between team blue and red. Currently on team red for desktop with 5950X/6800/B550 and 3800XT/6900XT/B550. Almost added blue but I like balance of performance, low power consumption and low noise so postponed Alder Lake and will wait for node shrunk Meteor Lake or Ryzen 6000 whichever comes out better. Favorite is the 5950X/6800/B550 since it only pulls ~300W from the wall under load and is silent with only dual case fans. In the meantime, might upgrade the 3800XT to 5800X3D since it seems to be the king of gaming CPU.

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Looking at your post, you didn't have a chance to experience M1. For a desktop it probably doesn't make that much of of a difference, but for a laptop - it is like a whole new unexplored world that everyone told you it doesn't exist.

Reactions: mmomega

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Looking at your post, you didn't have a chance to experience M1. For a desktop it probably doesn't make that much of of a difference, but for a laptop - it is like a whole new unexplored world that everyone told you it doesn't exist.
Some of the M1 laptops aren't all that great. I had an M1 MBA 16G RAM, 1TB and it sucked big time. Thermal throttling is just as bad on it as I have ever seen on anything. I traded it in for a Mac Studio and it's plenty fast. It was really stupid of me to pick a passively cooled laptop.

And my Work laptop is faster (Thinkpad X13 with AMD processor) and I really prefer Windows when I have work that needs to be done.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

Much higher cost but lacks native software ecosystem, lower real world performance and higher power consumption not only for gaming but also rendering, AI, GPU compute, etc.

102 fps $1200 PC laptop (measured total system power consumption from wall ~100W)
96 fps $3999 Mac Studio M1 Ultra 20CPU 48GPU (specs max 215W)
77 fps $3499 16" Macbook Pro M1 Max 10CPU 32GPU (max ~120W)

$1200 PC laptop
1651772714466-png.2001348

Mac Studio M1 Ultra
1652298420816.png

16" Macbook Pro M1 Max (lower right corner)
screenshot-3-png.2001346

Reactions: idktbh and AccenT

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I have the M1 Max 16" Pro and it is my absolute best laptop to date.
Wife has the M1 iPad Pro 12 and she loves the thing.
I am not an iPad person so I'll never have one.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
How is the whole P-Core and E-Core on Intel behaving? Also, are you using hard or flex tubing for your liquid cooling, or is it an AIO? I'm guessing flex.
I can't notice a PCore - ECore difference personally vs full on cores.
I just swapped from a 5950x which I put in my wife's computer to give her a 'bit' of an upgrade.
The Intel ...... feels.... quicker overall. but it is a feeling. Maybe not something I care to get in to the specifics of timings.
And just overall more stable across the board. Since going with Ryzen on day one with the 1700, skipped the 2000 series then the 3800,3900x, 5800x(in wife's) 5900x(in sons) 5950 in mine. there has always been little "hiccups"
definitely more refined now than Ryzen 1000 series but... something there. To me.
7700K was my last Intel PC I personally built. It's still running today. I'm bad at getting rid of computers.
My home iMac is the 9900K, and work is the iMac Pro 18Core. Which has been to Apple twice now for full logic board replacements, glad that thing is under warranty. It's HOT HOT, definitely a space heater at work even at idle.

-----------------------------------------

Now I have settled on the EK Zero Maintenance tubing, it's more like rubber hoses used in vehicles. Matte black and looks nice in my opinion.
I have done the clear flex which has always changed colors over time.
And while hard tubes look pretty, for my personal computer it's a no go.
In my sons I did 16mm and it's fine, he never touches the thing.
I am a tinkerer, and a rigid tube build is a PITA for someone like me that enjoys hardware other than just looking at it.

If that makes any sense.

Last edited:

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Now I have settled on the EK Zero Maintenance tubing, it's more like rubber hoses used in vehicles. Matte black and looks nice in my opinion.
I have done the clear flex which has always changed colors over time.
And while hard tubes look pretty, for my personal computer it's a no go.
In my sons I did 16mm and it's fine, he never touches the thing.
I am a tinkerer, and a rigid tube build is a PITA for someone like me that enjoys hardware other than just looking at it.

If that makes any sense.
Well, I did rigid on my personal. Yes I agree it is a PITA on certain aspects, but I do really enjoy the show. Next time I'm thinking I'll just go with rigid again but using the 45* and 90* adapters as trying to bend everything is a huge PITA.

Also, the cleaning of the rads is another pain. Although TBH, I haven't swapped out the fluid in the loop, I should look into that.

Reactions: mmomega

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
tad bit of swapping since beginning the thread..

Now we are on an EVGA Dark K|ngP|n Z690 board with a 3090 KPE in one slot and the 6900XT Liquid Devil in the 2nd slot to be able to jump back and forth to test performance and potentially do a hackintosh but I have yet to move forward with that yet.

I had issues when I previously got the Liquid Devil for my wife's computer, was going to do a hackintosh for her but that particular chip, the XTXH variation on the 6900 didn't have support in macOS so she just ran Windows anyway and mac'd on her laptop.
I need to go ahead and make the decision of removing the 6900 and placing it in another machine, selling it , or something.

decisions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.