Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dudup

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Lisbon, Portugal
So here am I, back to the distinct and select group of MBA enthusiasts!

A year ago I used to have a wonderful combo: a 24" aluminum iMac and a rev. a 1.6ghz 80gb hdd MBA. Even with those horrible core shut down issues, after OS X and firmware updates and some wonderful help from coolbook, I learned to love it. Specially because I would do most of my heavy work on the iMac.

But I've had a change of job which required me to carry my own laptop everyday. And because of that, I've found my self using the MBA more than 80% of my time. Keeping the macs in sync was a unnecessary pain in the arse. So i decided it was time to have a single machine setup.

After waiting a lot for the last refresh, I became disappointed with the rev. c refresh. 2gb of ram was an impediment to me. So I decided to go for a 15" MBP, the 2.66ghz with 9600gt model, which later I added an awesome OCZ Vertex SSD drive.

Wonderful machine, amazing boot and app launching times. A true beast.

But the problem is, i got used to the thinness and lightness of the MBA. So after 3 months, I've decided to came back to the MBA gang, and here I am, typing this on a 2.13ghz SSD rev. c machine.

God I missed it so bad!

I still dont know what I'm going to do with the 15 incher. More like I'll be selling it, but I don't know if I'm going to get an additional machine -- maybe an 24" iMac like I used to have, or an 17 incher. I really don't know. I think I might miss the powerhouse I used to have.

But one thing for sure is: this MBA has come to stay, and will only make way for newer MBA models which may come in the future. :)

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
My past experience is first the 1.86 ghz / 128 ssd MacBook Air .... then I bought the 15" June '09 MacBook Pro with 256 ssd, too heavy, too awkward I didn't like it at all .... then I tried using my MBA again... too inconvenient with lack of ports, fan noise, heat etc to use as a main machine...

FINALLY, I ordered the 13" MacBook Pro w/ 256ssd and couldn't be happier, it's the best computer for me to use as my main machine.

MajorTCS

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
Farmington CT
Welcome Back!

I bought my first MBA 10 days ago. 2.13 SSD. I replaced a 3yr old iBook G4. When I learn how to use xbench I will post my results.

dudup

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Lisbon, Portugal
My past experience is first the 1.86 ghz / 128 ssd MacBook Air .... then I bought the 15" June '09 MacBook Pro with 256 ssd, too heavy, too awkward I didn't like it at all .... then I tried using my MBA again... too inconvenient with lack of ports, fan noise, heat etc to use as a main machine...

FINALLY, I ordered the 13" MacBook Pro w/ 256ssd and couldn't be happier, it's the best computer for me to use as my main machine.

Yeah, the 13" MBP is awesome, too. But the glassy screen kept me away from it. Maybe if they decide to extend the matte option for it…

But TBH I would really prefer a 4gb/256gb ssd MBA :D

dudup

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Lisbon, Portugal
Glad you got something that makes you happy! Apple is too.;)

Your mistake on the MBP was getting a 15". Had you gotten a 13, you may have had a different outcome.

Totally agreed. Back when I ordered the 15" a friend of mine received a 13" MBP and I was totally amazed by it. I must confess I've been really balanced between those two machines since.

I think I went for the MBA because I really value its thinness and I'm a huge fan of its engineering. A year and a half later and I'm still freaked out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.