Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
At 99$ yearly per workstation for unlimited backup storage and 1 year version retention, it seems too good to be true.

is any of you using this service?
How do you find it?

Thanks

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Most people love it. My testing was not positive:
No backup of extended attributes (Finder tags, etc),
Limited retention of old files,
Cumbersome recovery,
Not end to end encrypted.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
Most people love it. My testing was not positive:
No backup of extended attributes (Finder tags, etc),
Limited retention of old files,
Cumbersome recovery,
Not end to end encrypted.

Thanks.
They advertise it as being encrypted. Do they do the encryption on their servers?

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Do they do the encryption on their servers?
The encryption takes place on your computer. But recovery requires using a web interface and sending the password to BackBlaze so that the decryption can be done on BB's servers.

All my negatives I listed (and a few others) become positives for Arq Backup. But, as I said, many people love BB.

There are reports that unlimited is not really unlimited if you want to get into the 10s of TB. That is true of any personal/consumer backup product that offers unlimited.

Reactions: Wando64

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
The encryption takes place on your computer. But recovery requires using a web interface and sending the password to BackBlaze so that the decryption can be done on BB's servers.

All my negatives I listed (and a few others) become positives for Arq Backup. But, as I said, many people love BB.

There are reports that unlimited is not really unlimited if you want to get into the 10s of TB. That is true of any personal/consumer backup product that offers unlimited.

5TB is plenty for me.
Recovery via web interface is a bit strange I must say.
I'll look into it a bit more.

Arq looks interesting but by the time I have paid for 5TB of cloud storage it would be considerably more expensive.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.