Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
10 years ago, I started my Mac developer career right here at MacRumors. Today, I'm super excited to announce our latest app project!

Meet Backdrop, our Next-Gen Wallpaper Engine for macOS

Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 16.25.25.png

Backdrop redefines the Mac desktop experience by replacing the traditional Mac wallpaper with a new type of dynamic scenes, powered by our custom Backdrop Engine.

Why wallpapers?
We think the desktop wallpaper is a core part of the Mac experience. It inspires you to be more creative, productive, or just feel at home on your Mac. Despite this, wallpapers on macOS have barely evolved over the years.
Backdrop aims to greatly improve this experience, offering a wallpaper platform that can render dynamic scenes with images, videos, live shaders and filter effects. All playing live right on your desktop.

Community-driven
Backdrop is not just a wallpaper client. It also features an advanced graphics editor where users can craft their own unique scenes, leveraging familiar tools such as layers, brush tools, and inspectors. Users can then effortlessly share their creations on the Backdrop Browser, a community-driven platform where you can find and download new Backdrops. Everything is integrated within the same app, and is built using cutting-edge SwiftUI & Metal.

editor.png

browser.jpg

Early Access Beta
Backdrop is the most ambitious app project we've undertaken. A lot of work remains to fine-tune all the features, optimize performance and test it on as many Mac configurations as possible.

Backdrop will be released as an Early Access Beta in January. We offer a signup at cindori.com/backdrop where you can opt-in to be notified when the Beta is available.

I know a lot of people here have been looking for an app like this for quite a while, so I'm curious to hear your take on Backdrop and if there is any killer features or wallpaper effects you'd like to see added to the app :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.