Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alstemp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
Hi - I am not a techie and going round in circles here. I have OSX 10.9.5. Couldn't tell you if it is Maverick or Mountain Lion

My existing MacBook pro (purchased 2012) is completely out of space and I bought a Seagate BackUp Plus external hard drive. Have now successfully backed up my Macbook to the drive and encrypted it. Understand I had to install Seagate NTFS driver software to "see" the contents of the Seagate hard drive. I have installed NTFS but cannot see my Seagate hard drive in the "NTFS partitions" section on the left. I understand I should see the Seagate external drive in there and when I double click on it I can then "see" all the contents of the external hard drive in an easy to understand layout. For example if I wanted to find a song on itunes it would be easy to search for this and pinpoint the original file. Basically - I purchased the external hard drive to i) act as a back up for the entire Macbook and ii) enable me to delete all my photos off the Macbook so it gives me space to enable me to back up my iPhone to my Macbook and update my Macbook software etc. But before I delete anything off my Macbook I want to make sure I can see the items are safely backed up to my Seagate external drive.

How do I set up the Seagate software to enable me to "see" the contents of my Seagate external drive in the easy to read interface?

How do I know it's safe to delete all my photos of my Macbook ie they have been safely backed up to the external drive?

thanks all in advance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.