Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
For which apps do you have background app refresh enabled in order for features important to you to work?

tragicwinding

Suspended
May 23, 2023
I find Background App Refresh really useful for certain apps. For social media apps like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, it keeps the feed updated so I see the latest posts right away. For email apps like Gmail or Outlook, it ensures I get my emails as soon as they arrive. I also keep it enabled for my news apps so I'm always up-to-date with the latest headlines. For fitness apps like MyFitnessPal, it helps keep my data synced across devices. Just remember, while it's handy, it can consume more battery and data, so choose wisely!

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
For me, it's mostly maps, email, weather, and some news apps. I don't care to have my social media feed be updated. I go into those apps when I want to see if there's anything new. I do have health apps with background refresh on, and these are primarily workout apps. I don't know if it needs it because you'd think if the app were running (tracking actively) it's already in the foreground and only a few times would it be in the background if I navigated out of the app to say do something with music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.