Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
What exactly does background app refresh do?

I've kept it switched off from day one, and never had issues with any of my apps. Apps such as Skype and WhatsApp work without any hiccups. I remember similar features on Android used to be badly implemented.

Should I keep it enabled? How much will it effect battery backup?

Thanks

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What exactly does background app refresh do?

I've kept it switched off from day one, and never had issues with any of my apps. Apps such as Skype and WhatsApp work without any hiccups. I remember similar features on Android used to be badly implemented.

Should I keep it enabled? How much will it effect battery backup?

Thanks
As I recall, the idea behind it is that for various apps that you use, depending on your usage, the OS would be smart to refresh their content in the background so that when you would get back to them they would generally be up-to-date and you wouldn't need to wait a bit for them to get the latest data and refresh.

In terms of how well that all works and how useful it can be for someone, that's harder to judge and would really depend on what apps someone uses and how they use them. More or less the same would apply to battery usage, but there would likely be some more (at least to some degree) with it enabled and working.

Ultimately whether the setting is enabled or disabled it shouldn't really cause any issues or have that much of a noticeable effect as far as how apps work.

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
A lot of apps that have a iPad, iPhone, Mac, and watch app, and offering syncing between devices is a good example. Many apps don’t fall under that category and leaving app refresh on for all apps can (in some cases for some people) use a lot more battery than really needed. I have found it best to pick the essential apps with multi-device syncing etc. as the ones to keep updated.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I've personally never noticed any difference in app performance or prevention of app suspension while in the background with Background Refresh turned On or Off.
Maybe it does something, but whatever it does isnt noticeable to me.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Thanks, this helps get a better sense of how this works.
So, it might sense for me to keep it enabled for an app like Apple Maps or Google Maps. If I minimise them when I am driving they might take time to refresh the content when I switch back to these apps.
On the other hand, I have no need for an app like Facebook to keep refreshing content.
Which apps do you find you want to keep refreshed in the background?
Thanks

Reactions: Apple_Robert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.