Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iObama

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Hi all,

I've had some issues recently with background apps. For instance, Google Maps closes in the middle of navigation, often unbeknownst to me. Airmail isn't giving me push notifications, and isn't up to date when I open it.

Background App Refresh is on for both of the apps, but I continue to have problems. Anyone else experiencing anything similar?

iOS 12.1.3 on a XS Max.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
I’m having similar problems with Instagram. Example: I scroll down the feed, enter just one other app and stay in there for let’s say 1 minute and then when I get back to Instagram the whole feed reloads instead of the feed being in the scrolled down position where it was when I switched to the other app. I seriously can’t believe this. I mean the RAM management of iOS is pretty good usually. Perhaps it’s a problem with the respective apps.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I’m having similar problems with Instagram. Example: I scroll down the feed, enter just one other app and stay in there for let’s say 1 minute and then when I get back to Instagram the whole feed reloads instead of the feed being in the scrolled down position where it was when I switched to the other app. I seriously can’t believe this. I mean the RAM management of iOS is pretty good usually. Perhaps it’s a problem with the respective apps.

I don't use Instagram, so is that not how it normally behaves? I have apps that reload just from me exiting and re-entering. I don't even need to load another app. It's not the lack of RAM or poor management of such, it's just the app. When it comes from the background, it starts fresh again. Just curious if it's the app detecting that it's no longer in the background and simply refreshing itself? Or might it be that you were out of the app long enough that it decided a refresh was in order? Like I said, I don't use Instagram, so I can't say if this behavior is normal or not. But since you mentioned that it might be the app, I thought I'd toss that out there.

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
That’s not a problem with iOS, it’s a feature for Instagram. Nobody seems to like it but Instagram keep it like that anyway.
[doublepost=1549667649][/doublepost]
Hi all,

I've had some issues recently with background apps. For instance, Google Maps closes in the middle of navigation, often unbeknownst to me. Airmail isn't giving me push notifications, and isn't up to date when I open it.

Background App Refresh is on for both of the apps, but I continue to have problems. Anyone else experiencing anything similar?

iOS 12.1.3 on a XS Max.
Have you allowed those apps to use cellular connection for background activity, not just Wi-Fi?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.