Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I suppose I could try this myself, but wanted to see if someone has already figured it out. If you start a large download and put your iPad to sleep, does it continue to download in the background or does it time out? Same question but instead of putting it to sleep, what if you go to another app so Safari isn’t front and center?

m.wttfld

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2019
Germany
Right now it seems like a little buggy, it works definitely when you put your device in lock mode, also when you run safari in background, but there is no thread activity protection right now, so when you run many apps/one that takes up much RAM, Safari will get terminated and Download will fail.

Reactions: saberahul

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Right now it seems like a little buggy, it works definitely when you put your device in lock mode, also when you run safari in background, but there is no thread activity protection right now, so when you run many apps/one that takes up much RAM, Safari will get terminated and Download will fail.

As far as I’m aware though you should be able to start the download again and it will continue where it was interrupted.

Reactions: saberahul

m.wttfld

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2019
Germany
As far as I’m aware though you should be able to start the download again and it will continue where it was interrupted.
Not all servers support re-initiating downloads, works only if there is no login or verification before download is starting.

Reactions: ZEEN0j

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Would be nice to use shortcuts to schedule auto downloads for flights. Oh well - we will see what Apple decides to offer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.