Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hyperbolic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
There is one other potentially related post on this, but it only covers the Messages app. I do think this post is important I hope the mods leave it up…

I find that for every hour I have messages app in the foreground it’s accompanied by 20-30 minutes of background processing. Not crazy about that.

I have the latest 16.4.1(a) installed, and this seems like a bug to me that should have been fixed long ago. Why in the world the Messages app would need to process in the background is beyond me.

Not only is my Messages app using a ton of background, but same goes for Calendar app. I don’t even have any of my apps connected to iCloud nor am I sharing or importing any calendars. I don’t even use the Holiday Calendar (which Apple does not allow you to delete, btw).

Another concern of mine is that “Home Accessories” is using 3-5 minute of background processing per day. I don’t have a single home accessory attached and I have home accessories turned OFF in iCloud! WHY is any type of home accessory process even running for a single second on my device. I even have all Background Processing turned OFF. It’s like WTF?

Another bigger concern is that a device owned by someone else in my house shows that once per week the Battery Usage panel in Settings shows that the Flashlight is turned on for 10-12 hours??? Every week, usually on Friday but not always. There *no way the flashlight is turned on for that phone. No videos with lighting being recorded either. Is this happening to anyone else?

This is pure speculation and likely not correct, however… might it be possible I was hit with that zero-day Messages root exploit that was able to bypass Apple’s “blastdoor” protection in messages app. It’s unclear if Apple has definitively fixed that, I don’t believe they’ve directly acknowledged it has been completely and absolutely fixed.

That exploit, which was developed by one of these damn, criminal companies that make hacking tools for governments, was very ingenious. It ended up installing literally a mini CPU that could run programs and hook into the kernel. I don’t know a lot about it, but its target was the Messages app, so me and millions of other people have the exploit installed. It wouldn’t surprise me. Apple claims “very few people” are targeted by these zero-day bugs. That’s hogwash. These types of exploits are every hackers dream, large & small. A LOT of advanced hacking discussion takes place on the deepweb. Several news articles on that.

Apple has fixed so many zero-day full root level exploits since iOS 10 that Apple should truly be ashamed that they aren’t hiring a 1,000 person strong anti-hacking team to put an end to this complete BS.

Why can’t Apple guard against buffer overflows, for JC sake? Some of these exploits are possible because apparently certain engineers don’t guard against user-supplied input data that invariably is loaded with a payload that causes a parsing problem or buffer overflow. This is CS 102 level stuff. Has Apple never heard of unit tests?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.