Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've got a 40GB 4th Gen iPod, that I would like to salvage the music off of and move it to a new iPod. It appears to be functional as far as pulling up a play list. When I plug it into my MBP, it seems to charge, but the charge bar does not appear to fill up, should it?

It does not appear in iTunes as a device that can be backed up.

Any suggestions on how to access the music on this device to back it up to a new iPod? It's possible that I have an old music library floating around on my computer somewhere, I'll look for it.
Thanks!

togruber

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2018
Hello,
the 4th gen iPod ist the first iPod that can be charged by USB. So it should do.

You can copy your Music only with third party software like Sharepod.

Regards
Torsten

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Hello,
the 4th gen iPod ist the first iPod that can be charged by USB. So it should do.

You can copy your Music only with third party software like Sharepod.

Regards
Torsten

What I've discovered is that for whatever reason on my lat 2016 MBP with lightning connectors, that when using a USB adapter, that it still can't see my iPod 4th Gen. However on my wife's older MB Air, with USB connectors, that the computer can see my iPod and it appears to be able to sync it with her computer on command in iTunes. I may have been able to save $20 on Sharepod, because if I can get it to be seen b the computer,, my understanding is that I can buy a new iPod, hook it up to her computer, and then tell it to restore, yes? Not sure what I'd be using Sharepod for, if you might explain. Thanks! :)

togruber

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2018
What I've discovered is that for whatever reason on my lat 2016 MBP with lightning connectors, that when using a USB adapter, that it still can't see my iPod 4th Gen. However on my wife's older MB Air, with USB connectors, that the computer can see my iPod and it appears to be able to sync it with her computer on command in iTunes. I may have been able to save $20 on Sharepod, because if I can get it to be seen b the computer,, my understanding is that I can buy a new iPod, hook it up to her computer, and then tell it to restore, yes? Not sure what I'd be using Sharepod for, if you might explain. Thanks! :)
Hello,
your MacBook doesn't have a Lightning Port. Which one do you mean?
You can use DeTune instead, it is free. You can use it to copy your Music to your Mac, iTunes is only able to copy music to your iPod.
Did you try to charge your iPod with a 10 Watt (at least) power adaptor and then connect it to your Mac?

Regards
Torsten

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Hello,
your MacBook doesn't have a Lightning Port. Which one do you mean?
You can use DeTune instead, it is free. You can use it to copy your Music to your Mac, iTunes is only able to copy music to your iPod.
Did you try to charge your iPod with a 10 Watt (at least) power adaptor and then connect it to your Mac?

Regards
Torsten
I misspoke, it has thunderbolt ports. I have a thunderbolt to USB adapter, my late 2016 MBP does not see the iPod connected to it with a usb /30 pin connector (usb in the computer, 30 pin in the iPod). My wife’s older MB Air with the USB 3 ports does see the iPod. I’ll use her computer to transfer music from it to a new iPod.

Of possible interest, when the iPod is connected to my computer as previously described, it charges, so there must be some other issue with the thunderbolt port.

togruber

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2018
I misspoke, it has thunderbolt ports. I have a thunderbolt to USB adapter, my late 2016 MBP does not see the iPod connected to it with a usb /30 pin connector (usb in the computer, 30 pin in the iPod). My wife’s older MB Air with the USB 3 ports does see the iPod. I’ll use her computer to transfer music from it to a new iPod.

Of possible interest, when the iPod is connected to my computer as previously described, it charges, so there must be some other issue with the thunderbolt port.
Hello,
I guess the adapter or the port must have a defective.
But if the computer of your wife works, you have an alternative. Important to note is that your iPod can be synced only with one iTunes library. If you want to sync it with another (maybe with another computer) all stored songs will be deleted or overwritten.

Regards
Torsten

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Hello,
I guess the adapter or the port must have a defective.
But if the computer of your wife works, you have an alternative. Important to note is that your iPod can be synced only with one iTunes library. If you want to sync it with another (maybe with another computer) all stored songs will be deleted or overwritten.

Regards
Torsten
Well I can log into her computer with my my account, would that makes a difference? Or use a third party app like Sharepod or Detune to overcome this issue. Of note, I plug my iPhone into my MBP with the same thunderbolt to USB adapter and it is seen, I assume that a new iPod would also be seen. I need to buy the new iPod to find out. :)

Ultimately I need to get the music off my existing iPod onto my new iPod and have it received by iTunes on my computer. The challenge at this point seems to be getting the music off my iPod, to my computer, (not my wife’s computer). I remember a program a while back (but not the Name) that would allow me to shift music around on different iTunes accounts. Now, I already purchased Sharepod, would that do it?

What steps would you suggest to accomplish this?
Thanks for the help.

togruber

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2018
Well I can log into her computer with my my account, would that makes a difference? Or use a third party app like Sharepod or Detune to overcome this issue. Of note, I plug my iPhone into my MBP with the same thunderbolt to USB adapter and it is seen, I assume that a new iPod would also be seen. I need to buy the new iPod to find out. :)

Ultimately I need to get the music off my existing iPod onto my new iPod and have it received by iTunes on my computer. The challenge at this point seems to be getting the music off my iPod, to my computer, (not my wife’s computer). I remember a program a while back (but not the Name) that would allow me to shift music around on different iTunes accounts. Now, I already purchased Sharepod, would that do it?

What steps would you suggest to accomplish this?
Thanks for the help.
Hi,
I would use the Computer of your wife and copy the songs using Sharepod or Detube to a folder on a thumb drive. Then drag and drop the songs from the stick to your iTunes library. The account is not important, only if you have baugt songs from the iTunes Music Store.

Regards
Torsten

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Hi,
I would use the Computer of your wife and copy the songs using Sharepod or Detube to a folder on a thumb drive. Then drag and drop the songs from the stick to your iTunes library. The account is not important, only if you have baugt songs from the iTunes Music Store.

Regards
Torsten
Will report back with complications or success! It’s all music copied from CDs.i just don’t want to Recompile them. Thanks. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.