Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apthai86

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
I recently found out that there is a 1.5TB drive and am considering upgrading my iMac to it. However, I have a questions before I do this. I'm going to do a fresh install of Leopard on the new drive.

I pretty much have most of my data backed-up but one question is iTunes Apps for the iPhone/Touch.

How will I go about backing my Apps up? Do I just copy the Apps folder to an external drive and drag it back into the same location after? How will iTunes pick it up?

An explanation of how this will work is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
If you used Time Machine with any kind of a BackUp drive, then you could restore absolutely everything from that very easily.

Otherwise, move the apps yourself.. In your users iTunes music folder:
Users > (Your Macs Name) > Music > iTunes > Mobile Applications
You'll find all your apps. So shift them over however you see fit.

Maximillian

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Worst case, you can re-download any app you already own for free. Once you pay for an app, you can re-download it as long as the price of that app doesn't go up.

apthai86

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
So I'm installing leopard with the restore dvds right now. Once that is complete, do I just drag the apps into iTunes? or putting in the iTunes folder will pick itself up? Thanks

apthai86

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Just an update incase anyone has any questions regarding this.

I finished installing leopard and getting everything to how I wanted it to be. All you need to do is make a back-up of the "Mobile Applications" folder. Once you're ready to put it back in iTunes, you just need to drag all the apps into iTunes and it will recognize the file and add it to the Applications tab.

Hope this helps someone in the future. Thanks for everyone help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.